Hum, Low Signal, Help

atomicgarden

I just rewired my guitar, but I guess I messed up in one of the connections.

The symptoms:

Noise unless touching strings, or other metal part to ground it.

Very low signal. ie can only be heard through distortion - sounds like the volume is almost all the way down

All my pots and switches work properly aside from this loss in volume

What's the cause of this? What should I be looking for?

I had this happen on a lot on one of my first guitars, but I don't really remember what the problem ended up being.

I'm guessing one of my connections is loose/not complete, does this sound like a reasonable guess?

Sorry to bother everyone with this

I'm guessing one of my connections is loose/not complete, does this sound like a reasonable guess?

Probably. Try reflowing your solder joints.

If you have multiple pickups controlled by a switch and pots, you can narrow down the problem. Is the problem only on one pickup, or on all of them? If it's all of them, the problem is past the point where the pickups are switched (between there and the jack).

You may also want to find a diagram for the setup you're using and make sure you got the connections right. If you "hotrodded" it on your own (not following a diagram) and you don't know what you're doing, you may have several mistakes.

Hope that's helpful. :D