Grain Runout In Offset 6-a-side Headstocks

Instead of adding an "ear" onto one side to extend the width of a scarfed headstock to achieve the drop (or lift for reversed!) would it be a better idea to align the grain of the wood in the same direction as the tuners when scarfing an angled headstock?

I presume a 13° scarf would be just as strong with a 10°-12° direction change in grain between the two pieces (sorry, 10-12 is an approx as my 3D trig is a bit sleepy right now). I'm 99% sure on this one. I suppose the only downside I can see at the moment is the loss of an inch or so of wood with the join end of the headstock piece being higher/lower either side of the centre point where it meets the neck.

I would draw pictures, but I trust that the people who know what i'm on about are more than happy to deal with words as an adequate method of communication. :D

Sounds painful in terms of having to true everything back up. Don't know if the grain orientation aligning with the tuners would be a big deal, but I can't imagine any harm either. If the goal is to be able to use a single piece for the headstock (no ear), and a little extra work is worth it to you. Then go fer it.

Having to plane a pyramid of wood off the face of a neck blank shouldn't be too much of a deal. Trueing everything back up should be part of the work anyway really :-D It's not like it's overcomplicating the job really! Perhaps an inch of wood and jumping in the seat with your plane for a couple of minutes. Easy.

I guess i'm a little bored of seeing offset headstock with gluelines. Ears seem better if used for necessity, like LP headstocks etc.

Having to plane a pyramid of wood off the face of a neck blank shouldn't be too much of a deal. Trueing everything back up should be part of the work anyway really :-D It's not like it's overcomplicating the job really! Perhaps an inch of wood and jumping in the seat with your plane for a couple of minutes. Easy.

I guess i'm a little bored of seeing offset headstock with gluelines. Ears seem better if used for necessity, like LP headstocks etc.

Yep, not a lot of extra work, and if you have a good reason it sounds worth it.