F Spacing

ovation22

I've got a 52.5mm (TOM) bridge with a 1 11/16" nut, with two humbuckers. Will I need an f-spaced humbucker in the bridge? What about the neck position? Some of what I've read is kind of vague... :D

F-spacing, standard spacing

What is F-spacing?

All of our full-size humbuckers except the X2N® are available in two polepiece spacings. F-spacing refers to the wider of the two spacings. For proper string alignment and balanced output, F-spaced humbuckers should be used in the bridge position on all guitars with string spacing at the bridge of 2.1" (53 mm) or greater. On these guitars, if the nut width is 1-11/16” (43 mm) or greater, F-spaced pickups can be used in the neck position as well.

from dimarzio's site ^

althought i would go with a f spaced in the bridge, and regular in the neck, but that's just me

F-spaced pickups measure 51mm between the centers of the poles of the two E-strings. Non-F-spaced ones are 48mm. Measure the distance between the centers of your E-strings at the position that you want to place each pickup and choose the pickup spacing that comes closer for each position.

If the F-spaced pickup is wider than the string spacing by the same amount that the non-F-spaced pickup is narrower (e.g. if your strings are spaced 1.5mm less than F-spaced and 1.5mm more than non-F-spaced) then go with the wider F-spaced pickup.