Grianfilled With Epoxy But Grain Shows Up Later

drpossehl

I have built 2 guitars so far. I used two part devcon 30 min epoxy for grain filler both times with Deft clear lacquer sprayed for the top coat. I let them cure for months before finish sanding and polishing and they looked super when finished. Six months later you can start to see the grain pores again. I know that lacquer shrinks. Does the glue shrink also, because I filled and leveled the grain pores once and now the lacquer is shrinking into the pores. Is it possible to prevent this (grain showing later), or is this a fact of life with laquer paint? Next build is swamp ash with huge grain to fill. I will be using McFaddens lacquer this time. Will this shrink less or about the same? Dave

It is possible that when you grain filled, you did not fully fill the pores. While epoxy doesn't really shrink back, you may have pulled some out of the pores while cleaning off the excess, leaving smaller pores. As the lacquer is shrinking back, you're now seeing those pores. While note always needed, a second coat of expoxy is good insurance to prevent this from happening again.

I usually do 2, sometimes 3 grain fill applicaitons (even with epoxy), and let it cure fully (24 hours for 30 minute epoxy, at least) before level sanding. Wet the surface with alcohol after each grain filling; if you see pores, you're not done filling. As far as non-schrinking grain filler, epoxy's good.