Need Info On How To Paint My Guitar

milkman2

Hello all, I'm going to be painting my electric guitar and I'm using an airbrush (not sure what kind, found it in storage shed). I need to know what kind of paint to use and also how to acheive that glossy factory finish. If someone could help me or direct me somewhere I can find all this information out I'd be very grateful.

:D Thank You

An airbrush won't typically atomize your clears well or provide enough coverage to do a good job of getting an even coat. You can do bases with an airbrush just not anything complex and its a total pain.

I agree ...

I would think it would be alot harder to acheive a good even coat with an airbrush too.

You'll get alot of different responses here as to what paint is "best".

I personally prefer urethane.

It doesn't crack, yellow and it leaves a really nice finish IMO.

I really like the AutoAir line of paints. I run my business out of my house so I try to keep the fumes down and prefer to work with the stuff that isn't cancer in a bottle.

I'm currently looking for a good compatible water based clear.

I also use House Of Kolor, I have a class all next week with a HOK instructor.

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. If I don't use the air-brush to paint it(because as I think someone said, its hard to get an even coat)what paint should I use. I tried Krylon spray paint, but the paint started cracking and looked horrible so thats out of the question.

I wasted ALOT of time and projects using Krylon ...

I finally purchased a compressor/spraygun rig and have been shooting urethanes with great results.

If you enjoy painting and think you may paint more than that one guitar, it may be worth looking into.

:D

Ok, thanks for the help everyone. If I don't use the air-brush to paint it(because as I think someone said, its hard to get an even coat)what paint should I use. I tried Krylon spray paint, but the paint started cracking and looked horrible so thats out of the question.

I wasted ALOT of time and projects using Krylon ...

I finally purchased a compressor/spraygun rig and have been shooting urethanes with great results.

If you enjoy painting and think you may paint more than that one guitar, it may be worth looking into.

:D

Thank you, I have some questions for you if its not to much trouble:

Whats the average price of urethanes?

Do I have to reduce before I spray?

What are the benefits for using urethanes?

Thank you, I have some questions for you if its not to much trouble:

Whats the average price of urethanes?

Do I have to reduce before I spray?

What are the benefits for using urethanes?

It's very pricey IMO ...

The urethanes I use are 2-part, meaning they require an activator (or reducer) which acts as a catylist.

Clearcoat and colors like black and white run about $45 a quart, plus around $20 for the activator.

Colors such as reds and yellows are a little more at around $65 a quart, plus activator.

I use an epoxy primer/sealer which also requires an activator.

I forget what that runs, but it's also pretty expensive.

I mostly use Dupont, which is known to be expensive.

I'm sure others here probably have better sources and can get other stuff alot cheaper.

I spent years doing rattlecan jobs and though I was initially able to achieve really nice looking finishes, the paint just wasn't durable enough to use on guitars and the finishes soon fell victim to spider cracks and just looked horrible. Also note that the acrylic lacquer I was using in a spraycan took at least 6-months to a year to fully cure. Not to mention the fact that I could really notice a difference in tone ... it sounded smothered and lifeless and had a great effect on resonance as well.

So, I would say the benifits of urethane are that it ...

1) It cures in a matter of hours vs. months.

2) It's incredibly durable and doesn't deteriorate like Krylon and other crap in a can.

3) It doesn't "yellow" or crack like nitro (though some find that appealing)

4) It leaves a nice hard finish which preserves tone and offers resonance.

5) Most importantly, it really offers professional results IMO.

Hope that helps. :D

Edited by DGW