Saga Kit Vs. Byo

Hey everyone...newbie here.

I just finished my first Saga strat kit and it came out "ok"....I had a problem that most others had, getting through the sanding sealer. I did a search for other kit comanies and found BYOGuitar.com

has anybody ever done any of their projects?

Apparently, their kits are all unfinished......ie. without sanding sealer!!!!!!! So, for anyone who lacks the space or funds to spend money on woodworking tools, BYO looks like a better idea for a kit than Saga. The difference in price doesn't appear to be that different. I plan on getting their Les Paul kit when the taxes come back..

You've already completed one kit, what more do you think you're going to learn from completing another kit?

Just asking.

I personally don't trust kits because it takes a certain level of quality to put together a guitar worth playing. I don't think that companies can achieve that level of quality and still sell a product for under $200.

That having been said, I've completed a Saga kit and found it to be a complete piece of junk.

Haven't ever heard of the BYO brand, but I've seen quite a few websites selling the exact same kits under their own brand names, so I doubt the quality will be any different.

For $200, you can get a decent guitar from an established company that will play better than a kit. My $200 Ibanez GAX70 was the first electric guitar I've ever played, and it used to have the best playing neck and perfect frets for what I like..... Until I used it as my scalloping project *evil grin*

But if you simply MUST have another kit to build, I'd suggest you check into Carvin. They are the only company I've seen whose kits have got fantastic reviews.

Then again, for $350 for a kit.... see the argument above. I don't don't see what you stand to learn from building - nay, assembling - yet another kit.

I just finished my first Saga strat kit and it came out "ok"....I had a problem that most others had, getting through the sanding sealer. I did a search for other kit comanies and found BYOGuitar.com

Why would you want to sand through the sanding sealer? That seems to me to be the only advantage to buying a kit --having the sanding sealer already done (it's the most important part of finishing to get right).

I agree, I've never seen a good reason to build an electric from a kit. An acoustic maybe, but not a solidbody.

Why would you want to sand through the sanding sealer? That seems to me to be the only advantage to buying a kit --having the sanding sealer already done (it's the most important part of finishing to get right).

I agree, I've never seen a good reason to build an electric from a kit. An acoustic maybe, but not a solidbody.

I was green, didn't know what the sealer was, didn't do much research for the project. I thought i could "wing" it and wound up making a sub-par looking guitar.

I'd like to try a Carvin, but I really want to build a Les paul.

As far as why I'd like to do another kit, well, I am less than a year into playing guitars and my untrained ear can't tell the difference between a $30 or $300 pickup :D So, the BYO kit is a mahogany body (which after doing some research, doing more this time around, is what some of the LP's are made of), and it has a maple veneer flame top on it, which I'd like to try and finish...my plan is to upgrade the tuners immediately, and then the pickups over time.

What else would you guys suggest I do?

Thanks for all of your feedback.

I agree with Xanthus 100%. $200-$300 would buy you a better guitar from a shop than you'd ever be able to build with a kit. A pawnshop I was in yesterday had an Ibanez Iceman for $199 and an Epiphone SG for $350. IIRC, the Carvin kit goes for +/- $350, then add shipping to be around $400. That would actually make you a really nice strat for the money.

In all honesty - without being an experienced builder or spending probably 6 months in research, you wouldn't even be able to make an ax from scratch for under what you're wanting to spend. (That's without taking tools into consideration.)

If you're only in a position to make a kit right now, or if that's what you have your mind set on, or whatever other reason you have for making another kit, my advice is save your money and buy a better kit. If a quality LP kit a completely unavailable, buy the parts individually and assemble it. Just do your research. :D Regardless of which path you choose, investigate the avenue thoroughly. Be an informed hobbyist and consumer.

Edited by avengers63

I was green, didn't know what the sealer was, didn't do much research for the project. I thought i could "wing" it and wound up making a sub-par looking guitar.

and it has a maple veneer flame top on it, which I'd like to try and finish...my plan is to upgrade the tuners immediately, and then the pickups over time.

Fair enough...you should have seen my first project...it makes me giggle just thinking about it. I started building when I started taking guitar lessons, just made sense to me. On the other hand, I can afford this hobby and I have a couple of decent factory-built guitars, so I don't depend on the guitars I'm trying to build. The learning curve is only as steep as your ability to learn this. In my case, that's pretty steep. :D

Have a look through some of the 'veneers' threads to understand why you don't want to mess with a veneer top...

I agree with Xanthus 100%. $200-$300 would buy you a better guitar from a shop than you'd ever be able to build with a kit. A pawnshop I was in yesterday had an Ibanez Iceman for $199 and an Epiphone SG for $350. IIRC, the Carvin kit goes for +/- $350, then add shipping to be around $400. That would actually make you a really nice strat for the money.

In all honesty - without being an experienced builder or spending probably 6 months in research, you wouldn't even be able to make an ax from scratch for under what you're wanting to spend. (That's without taking tools into consideration.)

If you're only in a position to make a kit right now, or if that's what you have your mind set on, or whatever other reason you have for making another kit, my advice is save your money and buy a better kit. If a quality LP kit a completely unavailable, buy the parts individually and assemble it. Just do your research. :D Regardless of which path you choose, investigate the avenue thoroughly. Be an informed hobbyist and consumer.

That's exactly what i have been researching..I've found a few good sights with unfinished LP's.....I will take all of your insightful ideas, get a better LP body and great parts..

Thanks guys, this helps a bunch and my next guitar after this one will be store bought!!