Bandsaw Vibration

Desopolis

I put a new blade on my bandsaw after I got it(original was really dull) and finished a setup on it..

Its a closed base 14" Jet bandsaw. The Base is stable when its running but the saw itself has a annoying vibration.

Its still workable, and everything looks right but I dont know whats causing it. I thought maybe blade tension, but the gauge is pretty good, and the saw feels like its cutting ok, just shaky..

any ideas?

I tend to not pay much attention to the tension gauge.

I tension the blade using the gauge when I first put the blade on, then back off until the blade starts to flutter the tiniest bit, then crank it down about another turn.

I've only used the Jet blade that came with my saw, and Timber Wolf blades thereafter. Timber Wolf claims that theirs are "low tension" blades. I'm not sure if that's marketing or what.

Vibration could be coming from several things, and 14" saws(especially with riser blocks) are going to be touchy because they are light weight. Be sure to check all your nuts and bolts, especially the main frame bolt, don't want anything shaking loose on you. Check the alignment on your wheels, check your pulleys to be sure they are not loose or out of balance (never hurts to make sure you don't have a worn shaft key or what have ya). Be sure the blade( when totally free of the guides) spins freely and coasts gently to a stop, and also tracks smoothly. Might want to check the back of your blade and make sure any lump at the weld has been smoothed so the back is true (that is generally more noisy than a vibration source). You could check the base also and make sure it is setting on a level, solid surface, and that any feet are adjusted well and tight (kinda like leveling a washer or dryer). Beyond that you kinda have to live with what a 14" is (kinda tall and light, easy to vibrate). I have seen those link belts that they say are supposed to reduce vibration (no idea if they work, never tried one, but just a thought).

• 2 weeks later...
I was considering using rubber isolating washers in between the saw and the base, think this would help, or give the saw more give?

That may reduce the vibration transmitted to the floor(if it is located above another part of your house maybe that is important to you?), but won't help much with the machine. Be sure the base is makeing contact with the floor at all four corners though and is level. If the base is not making even contact it will lead to more vibration (much as a washer or dryer would). For what it is worth, I did have to level my 14's base, and when it did not make good contact it vibrated a lot (after leveling it was much reduced).

Peace,Rich

The Base is stable when its running but the saw itself has a annoying vibration.

i dont know if we have the same tools but if you bandsaw does not stay in its place and moves a bit front and then goes back in its place, its not been welded straight.

If its that,you dont have to worry but someday will eventulay break if you have covers at the front of the blade it not a big deal if you dont, its is...

:D

You should find some information on setting up a bandsaw. Do a google search.

My first thought is you have a bad lower wheel (aluminum wheels more likley than steel), I had this issue on an 18" band saw.I thought it was just a frame issue and isolation was the answer It took a good year to finally figure out the wheel was causing the problem. I ordered a new one and that was bad too. I checked the shaft with a micrometer and it was dead on. Take off the blade open the door and see if the lower wheel wobbles, even just a small fraction will vibrate the machine while the blade is on. You may notice the blade move in and out as it is moving or the vibration comes and goes.

The next item to check is the two wheels may not be inline with each other but offset. You need a long straight edge for this and you may have to remove the table. Also requires you adjust the tracking. When the straight edge touches all 4 points on both wheels you are aligned. That is the top and bottom of each rim on each wheel. This is the single most important setup on a bandsaw. The straight edge is the hardest part here.

If you lay your blade down against the table surface where its welded and the blade is not touching across the full width of the table then the blade is welded wrong. But you would see some sort of indication as the balde turns.

It could also be the motor but less likely, but a link belt will help reduce belt vibration. Adding weight or isolating the base from the saw will not help.

A riser block may have changed the wheel alignment even though you do not mention having one. Aligning the wheels should be in the manual for your machine.

I lived with a vibration issue for a long time and finally bit the bullet and spent a small fortune on a high end Italian bandsaw. Its the last one I should ever have to buy. I feel your pain.

Edited by Woodenspoke