Celestion G12t "hot" 100

Thoughtless 7

I'm in a bit of a conundrum myself (re: speaker shopping), but I would say try to match amp output and speaker cab reasonably well, unless you're shooting for a very clean, tight, 'sterile' sound. Speakers influence how your cab sounds a great deal, and you could do worse than taking your amp along to a store and testing some cabs...

I'm in a bit of a conundrum myself (re: speaker shopping), but I would say try to match amp output and speaker cab reasonably well, unless you're shooting for a very clean, tight, 'sterile' sound. Speakers influence how your cab sounds a great deal, and you could do worse than taking your amp along to a store and testing some cabs...

high power handling speakers don't necessarily sound "sterile", SRV springs to mind.....

i guess it depend on weather you prefer straight tube clipping or speaker clipping as well. I've heard speakers that sound horrible when clipped and others that sound great.

my jbl120E (300 watts) sounds great, very focused at all volumes, but still very warm, and can be used for bass or PA in a squeeze (aren't many guitar speakers I'd do that to!) its also VERY VERY loud. sensitivity=103dB!!!

its a shame speakers and cabs are given more credit, they have a massive effect on tone, much more than say pups (in most cases)

:D

Edited by borge