not enough power

rob

Right, here's the deal, I am using a 130 watt trace elliot and 2X10 cab (I got it fixed!) and I got an up coming gig. The guy thats organising it thinks that it wont do the job (not enough in the watts). So he wants to use this toneless peice **** 500 watt amp. The thing is that i would be using the preamp out on my amp, so the PA would be supplying the power, my power amp would be mearly giving me volume, so I could hear my self. Is he right and am I getting the wrong end of the stick or do I make a good point? At the end of the day, I want my sound. I know its only 130watts and I dont have my full compliments of cabs, but the sound and the whole thing is dear to me, not the big shitty thing's

have him mic you thru the PA. then you will still sound good, just louder. seems like a good compromise to me.

yeah I asked him about micing up my speaker and he was concered about the power of my amp feeding the vol. that the mic would pick up. So i recogmended the pre amp route but he still wouldnt have it :D . Really I need a good argument to use my amp. there it the possiblity of running my amp through the power amp on the **** amp... i think?

He's talking bollox Rob.

The pre-amp out of your Tracey will go straight into a D.I. box --*-- SNIP - not DI box - a PA Stage Box! --*-- and thence to the PA mixer. All you're using your amp for - apart from tone obviously - is for you and the rest of your band to hear you!

I found with my 150W Tracey (How I miss her!), Lifting the beast onto a small table elevated it enough so that all the other members of the band would complain at my noise. 20 watts between my old one and yours is nothing in terms of volume.

So you can concentrate on your sound being right, and being loud enough for all you guys to hear. The PA's job is for the audience to hear it.

Years ago, I always had problems with PA 'engineers' too. Remember they live by their VU meters. My stage sound would always be 'too loud' for their ikkle puny microphones. The answer? Move the friggin Mic further from the amp.... They never get it. Have a look at Entwistle's live rig sometime - he never trusted the techies with his sound and the mics were about 4 feet from the speaker cabs!

As for an argument to use on him: 1. who's paying him? 2. It's you that'll get panned if the band sound awful, not him.

great advice people! thanks I'll tell him what's what! One problem, i dont have a DI box. How much for an alright one and couldn't I just use a 1/4 inch jack straight out of the pre amp and straight in to the PA or should I just mic up? Am I missing somthing as well?

My mistook there mate - I meant a stage box, not a DI box - the signals already ok for the mixer out of your amp. So what you're saying is exactly right - guitar lead from the Tracey to a stage box - which is basically where all the mics and stuff plug in before they all run to the mixer.

It would be nice to mike it as well, from a few feet so he doesn't keep telling you to turn down, and you can get a nice balance between your dry pre-amp out sound and the sound of the TE speakers too.

On the guitar side, I once used a Boogie Studio 22 in a band - the bass player (with his Peavey 300W combo) used to complain all the time...