Multiscale Baritone

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the finish on this took a few attempts to get right.

I started with ebony fingerboard stain to darken this wenge because it was quite red when i started (see earlier in the thread). I then went with applying tru oil as normal (sand to quite a high grit and the wipe loads of the stuff on)... but i was having issues because it was building up on the surface (as tru oil will) and didnt quite look right... it looked more like a bad lacquer job than a good oil job, mainly because of the darkness of it. In frustration i ended up taking all the finish off with wire wool 000 which ate through the finish but didnt really touch the wood, just polished it up.

at that stage the tru-oil was gone but the top was perfect colour so i just gave it a couple of coats of danish oil to seal it in... and i sent the new owner off with a bottle of danish oil and a little demonstration on how to give it more if it needed it.

the back and neck were done with tru-oil and it worked great, i just finished it off with a wipe of briwax and 0000 wire wool to soften the tru-oil shine(liberon brand - much nicer than some other 0000 wire wools i have used) . for some reason i was just never happy with it on the wenge

lets have some extreme closeups

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0691.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg