Multiscale Baritone

fanned fret 6 string baritone

here is the initial spec:

Through neck made from:

flamed maple/bubinga/wenge/Bubinga/flamed maple

Wenge headplate

fretboard:

Ebony inlayed on the side edge with aluminium bar position markers(wait and see)

1 3/4" (44mm) width at nut (well the fanned fret equivilent to that anyway)

NO BINDING

Body:

Bubinga core (approx 1 1/4" thick)

wenge top that covers the neck laminates (1/4" thick)

wenge back that doesnt cover the neck laminates (1/4" thick")

NO BINDING

Scale:

26.5" high e(:D string

28" low E (A) string

7th fret being the centre of fanning

24 jumbo frets

tuning - A-E-A-D-F#-B

Tuners:

Sperzel locking in matt black

Bridge:

Wilkinson/graphtech saddles mounted to an ebony plate -strung through the body

two way truss rod with headstock adjustment

2 carbon fibre reinforcement bars

wenge truss rod cover

Graphtech nut

single 500k volume

ebony, wenge or buffalo horn knob

Flush mount dunlop strap buttons (black)

black jackplate - side mounted

BKP pickup - black cover (Cpig?? but will consult with Tim to confirm a good match with the wood choices).

Black pickup ring

Black screws

Gun stock oil (birchwood casey tru-oil) finish

here is the initial design

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/scaledesign2.jpg

and the wood:

fretboard

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/fretboard.jpg

wenge top (will probably be dyed blacker depending how dark it goes naturally)

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e31/WezV/wengetop.jpg

bubinga for body and neck laminates

wingsneck.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, we must be on the same wavelength... I'm in the process of designing a 25.5 - 28" scale baritone (quite literally, I'm just taking a break & checking out the forum).

That's some really red wenge, much moreso than I've seen before, but it looks really nice. Looking forward to seeing your progress!

Looks really cool. I'm a big fan of baritones, so I'll keep an eye on this one. *Subscribed*

One quick question: I'm not very familiar with the science, development and execution of a multi-scale fretboard. Is there a particular reason why you've chosen to have the 7th fret be the centre of fanning? Is it more or less aesthetic, or is there some functional reason?

between the 7th and 12th fret is a good way of ensuring the fan that never makes it difficult at either end.. having it at the 7th favours the lower fret positions over the higher ones which will suit the guy who is getting this -

between the 7th and 12th fret is a good way of ensuring the fan that never makes it difficult at either end.. having it at the 7th favours the lower fret positions over the higher ones which will suit the guy who is getting this -

And from the looks of your mockup it doesn't even look like the upper frets are slanted too uncomfortably, either.

Yeah, that is some mighty red wenge! I've never seen it like that, so I'll look forward to watching this come together.

One comment, though. If you say that the wenge on the back won't cover the neck lams, why put one on at all, just to add some symmetry? I just feel either put a cap on the back or let both the neck lams AND the body wood show through the back :D

i love that look of strong lines going from tip to toe. the fretboard gets in the way on the front anyway so i like to cover it all - especially on the headstock where the lines can fight with the headstock shape

IMO a baritone is a perfect guitar to do multiscale. Should be cool!

Agreed. At least, without having built one I already agree; have two others with regular scales, but I'm planning a multiscale headless baritone for myself in the not too distant future (ie, not more than a year or two...)

well i'm glad you think that, i though the scale lengths sounded good but havnt actually done a baritone like this before so i was largely guessing

so anyway, that leads me onto another question.... string gauge?

26.5" high e(:D string

28" low E (A) string

tuning - A-E-A-D-F#-B

i was thinking a fairly light baritone set, 12-72?? or something like that

I like big fat strings on baritones; I use the LaBella sets with an .080 in the bass for acoustics, so I'd thing the 72 set would work well for an electric. I haven't decided on scale lengths for my own build yet, but likely a little longer than what you've got there, but not by much (I have a few templates, so I'll have a peek).

Have you picked pickups yet? My thought is possible some fat single coils, as there's bass to spare in these isntruments and you want a little bit of bite. I really like the sound of the Danelectroc Baritones, actually, but I don't like the look of lipsticks on anything not Dan-o.

the pickup will be a bare knuckle humbucker as usual

they make one called the warpig which is high output but a lot more versatile than the specs and name suggest.. Because BK Pickups are fully customisable we were thinking of going with a ceramic magnet version rather than alnico V and probably just a black enamel cover rather than distressed in any way

I havnt fully decided on the humbucker because i usually like to consult with Tim on what he thinks will work best before i order them - he hasnt let me down so far. On the last guitar (the one in GOTM at the moment) we went for a much lower wind than originally intended (riff raffs) because Tim didnt think the nailbombs wehad chosen would suit the woods as well... he was spot on - the guitar has clarity and wonderfull cleans but also provides plenty of distortion as well

I am suprised somebody hasnt commented on the wood choices so far... the future owner said he wanted it heavy and bright which means i have gone for stuff that wouldnt suit everybody... although i drew the line at making it 2" thick !!! he is 6'6" and wants a guitar that fits him

might as well do a shameless plug for the band

http://www.myspace.com/13gauge

• 4 weeks later...

my first gutiar was almost exactly those same wood choices, doing the contours was tough!

but i love that body shape, and im not just saying that

i tried to design a mockingbird rendition that came out a little akward. but yours is just so damn cooL!

awsome man

(on the bright side youll have huge guns at the end of this guitar :-p)

Kenny

• 5 weeks later...

well its been a hell of a term at work and guitar progress has been real slow... the good news is we only have 3 weeks left before i get to foucs on the guitars properly for a while and get some real work done... i really need to go part time at some point

that said i have got the neck shaft on the fanned fret roughly carved

neckcarve.jpg

and the aluminium side markers in (sorry for pixelation)

sidedots.jpg

next job will be to cut the headstock, glue the wings and top on and then start the slow process of carving all that bubinga!!

PS. I dont suppose anyone has a nice dark 1/4" thick wenge top. i really like the wenge i brought for this project but the reddish colour it has just wont suit this guitar (not enough contrast with the bubinga) and it hasnt darkened as much as i hoped. I will probably end up getting the look i want with the finish but it sure woudl safe a lot of mucking about if i could get a dark top, i suppose other dark woods might work well.

• 4 weeks later...

more work done now my holiday has started.

the wings are on and have been levelled off ready for the wenge top

XL803841.jpg

XL803842.jpg

at the moment i think the shape is a bit clunky but i think once the wenge is on and bevels are carved in its going to make more sense.. the shape needs a bit of smoothing as well... no templates for this shape yet as its a prototype and i prefer to do it by eye at first... if it all goes wrong we can always add it to the ugly guitars thread :D

i am leaving the pickup choice for now... i am not entirely sure what to expect from it so i will probably do a test run with a pickup i have here before ordering the final one

the original brief was a warmoth Z shape mixed with SG but after a few different drawings sent back and forth this is what we ended up with