Broken Headstock Repair

Did UPS pay for the repair ?

Couldn't help notice the old Donnel glass surface fret-board sander on your bench. When I see one of those, I assume the owner has been working on guitars since at least the mid 90's.

That is funny you saw that, good eye!

Actually, I have been building and repairing instruments since the 70s.........................Gasp, that dates me huh?

:D

I think they did, but I am not 100 percent sure.

ok, seen plenty of headstock repairs... but seeing the final pic on that one did make me let out an 'oh f***'

obviously the back strap on the headstock is still visable... but where the hell has that graft gone :D

good work!! - i really like the use of a 58 neck on the repair of the hamer - personally i would have sold that to a guy with a 58 incase his neck ever broke and he needed grafts... could probably convince him to part with a pretty sum

I'm not quite so sold on the other repairs in the thread - I'm not a fan of the use of splines, which really don't make much mechanical sense. In the case of the Gibson V repair they're almost certainly detrimental to the strength of the joint, which was a text book example of a 'long break' which will be as strong as before with a good glue up, not to mention almost invisible.

RFR's repair on the ther hand is a stunner - great finish touchup, and without a doubt far stronger than the original neck - A back strap is a far superior method in every respect. IMO splines are only ever appropriate on short breaks or re-breaks, and even then I think they are suspect - you get no clamping force in the direction you need when they're glued in, and the amount of gluing area they add is minimal.