Ash, Or Swamp Ash?

Hello everyone. I was just wondering what the exact differences there are between swamp ash and regular ash like fender uses. I know that swamp ash is lighter and tends to have a more pleasing grain. I was just wondering if there is any noticeable difference in the two in terms of tone, sustain, and strength. Thank you.

Hello everyone. I was just wondering what the exact differences there are between swamp ash and regular ash like fender uses. I know that swamp ash is lighter and tends to have a more pleasing grain. I was just wondering if there is any noticeable difference in the two in terms of tone, sustain, and strength. Thank you.

The properties of a piece of wood makes it sound the way it does. These may both be called Ash, but there is a notable difference in there general properties. Much as Alder differs from Rock Maple. Swamp Ash is a very light resonant wood, with a surface hardness that is quite acceptable for a solid body. White Ash usually is much heavier and stiffer(similar to sugar maple). Generally it seems Swamp Ash has a bit better weight to stiffness ratio, which is usually a good thing. Right now there are a couple people selling some great Swamp Ash at VERY reasonable prices in the buy sell trade section. I actually even picked up a couple boards from Jim Soloway(nice guy). He is not asking much for the wood, and it is wonderful dry resonant Swamp Ash(great bargain).

Peace,Rich

The properties of a piece of wood makes it sound the way it does. These may both be called Ash, but there is a notable difference in there general properties. Much as Alder differs from Rock Maple. Swamp Ash is a very light resonant wood, with a surface hardness that is quite acceptable for a solid body. White Ash usually is much heavier and stiffer(similar to sugar maple). Generally it seems Swamp Ash has a bit better weight to stiffness ratio, which is usually a good thing. Right now there are a couple people selling some great Swamp Ash at VERY reasonable prices in the buy sell trade section. I actually even picked up a couple boards from Jim Soloway(nice guy). He is not asking much for the wood, and it is wonderful dry resonant Swamp Ash(great bargain).

Peace,Rich

Rich,

I also picked up some of Jim's stuff - nice isn't it. Do we have solid bodies to look forward to from you? I hope so.

Marty

Rich,

I also picked up some of Jim's stuff - nice isn't it. Do we have solid bodies to look forward to from you? I hope so.

Marty

Marty,

I do need to build a bass for a nephew in the near future. I am at the tail end of a project, then I will figure out what is next. I have two OOO I want to get going on, and a Dreadnaught but maybe I will do all four projects at the same time (not sure if that is a good idea, with my odd schedule :D ).

Rich

Thanks for the info guys. I think I have formulated a combination of woods that would prove to be very very good. I'll be doing this next year for a les stratotelejaguarbird, my ideas on a combo of 5 great fender/gibson guitars