Clapton Custom Shop Es-335

I believe they use laminated woods on all those ES semi hollows- and the center block is definitely mahogany- take a look at this- this movie is almost an hour long- takes a long time to load unless you have a decent internet connection- but well worth it. the shot of the spruce block they use between the center block and top answered so many questions I had. I think they mention that the Alvin Lee model has a maple block and some sort of cut out in it-I havent watched the movie in a while and I need to scoot off to work.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4764707652331081865

I think this has been posted before- there is also a pdf that shows this process- I think the link is www.upnorthstrings.com- there is a pdf on there- they use a modified center block- doesnt go all the way to the end of the guitar like the gibson does.

hope this helps you.

Peace

Natch

I believe they use laminated woods on all those ES semi hollows- and the center block is definitely mahogany- take a look at this- this movie is almost an hour long- takes a long time to load unless you have a decent internet connection- but well worth it. the shot of the spruce block they use between the center block and top answered so many questions I had. I think they mention that the Alvin Lee model has a maple block and some sort of cut out in it-I havent watched the movie in a while and I need to scoot off to work.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4764707652331081865

I think this has been posted before- there is also a pdf that shows this process- I think the link is www.upnorthstrings.com- there is a pdf on there- they use a modified center block- doesnt go all the way to the end of the guitar like the gibson does.

hope this helps you.

Peace

Natch

Dude, thanks so much! I hadn't seen that and it's great. I grew up with that guy that did the binding!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a big EC fan, and that video makes me a bit sad, to be honest... Isn't it better to be inspired by something, than to copy it? It's like a band making a cover song that recreates the original down to the last tone. Even the 'wrong' ones. If you can't add anything new, leave it. That guitar is a legend, now they are 'autopsying' it. I don't know, maybe I'm just melancholic...

I just think that the belt marks on the back of my guitar should be from my own buckle, not some "distressed" paint job from a factory somewhere...

Good video to learn from though, I guess.

Enough of a rant from me. Back to studying

Heggis

Edited by heggis