Building A Strat

Hey guys I’m building a strat style guitar and was looking for a forum that could help me and this looks like the one. I haven’t built a guitar before so bare with me.

I've bought a body and neck from bhefnerco on ebay

It’s an ash body with a rosewood neck with 22 frets, 10" radius and 6150 frets.

I've got all the parts that I need and have a few questions.

Do I glue the nut to the cavity first then lacquer the neck?

I have put copper shielding on the pick guard, is there anything else I need to do to make it work?

Should I drill the holes for pick guard screws first then paint the guitar or the other way round?

Do I use sanding sealer on the neck and then lacquer it? Do I also do this to the bit of the neck that the screws go into?

Cheers for the help.

I would drill the pickguard screw holes BEFORE you paint but then again that's just my opinion.

I also think that if the control cavity on the body is not already shielded with copper you should shield it.

Try and use the search function here on PG because many of your questions (these and any you might have in the future) have probably already been answered.

Edited by PunkRockerLuke

Do I glue the nut to the cavity first then lacquer the neck?

No need, the nut does not need a lacquer coat, especially if you plan to use a plastic nut.

I have put copper shielding on the pick guard, is there anything else I need to do to make it work?

Just make sure you include a proper ground for the bridge/trem system too. Here is some reading about shield grounding as well.

Should I drill the holes for pick guard screws first then paint the guitar or the other way round?

Mark their positions with a center punch and drill after finishing. Why? If you plan to do any wetsanding then you can minimize the potential for water damage ie. swelling and splitting in all those holes.

Do I use sanding sealer on the neck and then lacquer it? Do I also do this to the bit of the neck that the screws go into?

Since you only mentioned rosewood, I'm assuming a maple neck w/ rosewood fb. Maple is pretty tight-grained , dense wood, you can go ahead and lacquer it right off. If the neck is a nice tight fit on the body then there is no need to coat the bottom and lower sides of the heel, unless its a slightly sloppy fit. But you have to make sure the lacquer is well cured in those areas before fitting to the body. It can act like glue.