What's A Good Neck Pickup?

Drag

I'm thinking about replacing the pickups in an old Ibanez RG (the pickups are in an HSH configuration). I'm pretty well settled on a Dimarzio D Sonic (DP207) in the bridge, but I'm not sure what to do about the middle and neck pickups. I'm kind of thinking about a Dimarzio Air Norton (DP193) in the neck but am not 100% sure on that. I like the sound of both, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any input on how they sound together or if there are better combinations. Also I haven't the slightest clue about what to do with the middle pickup. So any input at all would be great.

Just so that you have an idea of the type of sound I'm going for, I like to play some blues (à la Albert King, SRV, etc.) and a lot of Prog rock and metal (à la Dream Theater, Maiden, etc.).

Thank you very much to anyone who offers any input.

• 2 weeks later...

Probabily you can use the DI MARZIO tutorial. Follow this link http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/pickuppicker/.

Good luck

I'm thinking about replacing the pickups in an old Ibanez RG (the pickups are in an HSH configuration). I'm pretty well settled on a Dimarzio D Sonic (DP207) in the bridge, but I'm not sure what to do about the middle and neck pickups. I'm kind of thinking about a Dimarzio Air Norton (DP193) in the neck but am not 100% sure on that. I like the sound of both, I'm just wondering if anyone can offer any input on how they sound together or if there are better combinations. Also I haven't the slightest clue about what to do with the middle pickup. So any input at all would be great.

Just so that you have an idea of the type of sound I'm going for, I like to play some blues (à la Albert King, SRV, etc.) and a lot of Prog rock and metal (à la Dream Theater, Maiden, etc.).

Thank you very much to anyone who offers any input.

I like the Seymour Duncan AH-1 (Allan Holdsworth model) and the Seymour Duncan JB.

EDIT: Sorry, those are bridge pickups - I was trying to do two things at once when I posted that. :D

I like the Seymour Duncan Jazz pickup on the neck.

Edited by Paul Marossy