Rezonant Spurce

Hi, I have a question:

Need I resonant wood for solid body guitar? Man who suply wood for violins, cellos, and violas give my this question

and I really dont know... Probably resonant wood is better but I saw buiding guitar body from table and so on....

thanks for reply.....

Hi, I have a question:

Need I resonant wood for solid body guitar? Man who suply wood for violins, cellos, and violas give my this question

and I really dont know... Probably resonant wood is better but I saw buiding guitar body from table and so on....

thanks for reply.....

The use of resonant is pretty vague. Wood used for a violin, cello or violas needs to have certain properties depending on the part it is making. A solid body guitar has VERY differnt requirements and thus the properties you want in the wood are different. Any piece of wood we use, should be lively and musical (which is a very broad statement).

Wood that was used to make a table may be very musical and lively. It just depends on the piece (which holds true of any piece of wood). If you want to get into specifics. You need to look at what the wood is used for(neck, fretboard, solid body, soundboard, tone bars....), consider what properties are most desirable for that part(relative to what you are building). The most ideal wood for one application could be a disaster for another.

Rich

actually here in czech we dont have shop with wood for guitar body so I only try replace it....

Should I take resonat wood, really dont know.......?

pieces like this:wooooooodlr3.jpg

I can tell just by looking at these that they are just no good at all and you should send them to me to get rid of.

Looks like reasonably well quartered curly Maple. If you like it's looks and have a use for it go ahead and get it. People use it all the time on electrics, seems silly you would even ask about it.

Also, Why is the topic asking about Spruce if your looking at Maple now?

Edited by fryovanni

yeah, bad picture sorry, (I can buy Spurce or maple).... :D)

now - spurce.....

If you are buying this for a solid body project. Don't spend the higher cost for acoustic woods, unless you say really like the look of the piece of maple. Acoustic woods are selected with stringent requirements. This is because these woods will be carved or thicknessed very thin, and will be the source of the instruments sound as vibrating plates. This is not the case with solid body electrics, although there may be some smaller contribution to the sound the requirements and function are totally different. If this is your first guitar and you have a budget. Buy very good quality neck wood, buy decent "solid body" wood, use discretion with the figured wood(your finishing skills may not be up to justifying VERY expensive wood, and a nice but not flawless figured drop top wood will be 70% less expensive), focus on decent quality hardware, and good electronics(it is an electric instrument after all, electronics are just going to be much more significant to the sound produced).

I have a fair amount of acoustic and solid body wood. I can use whatever I feel like using. I would not want to use fine archtop wood on a solid body. I have really cool looking figured tops that are not up acoustic standards, but look really great. I would rather use those for solid bodies(where structure is not a big deal and it is all about looks).

However if money is no object, and you want to use the wood you are showing. Go ahead. I am sure the wood dealer will be happy to sell it to you.

Rich