Been Working On My Paint Booth.

i went to home depot, and i bought a 36"x66" 3/4" thick block of plywood, and some castors.

Paintbooth3.jpg

next step is a fan/filter setup to draw clean air in, and some velcro for the shower curtain, and an air filter and manifold, as well as some hooks. theres a 2x4 beam in the middle of the roof that i put there specifically for hooks.

Careful, don't blow yourself up!

Yeah, you should not be using an open chassis fan - it should have a sealed motor and be explosion proof.

A buddy of mine built a booth in his garage. He used home heating furnace filters for the air intake on the door. For the exhaust he found a second hand 12" belt driven axial tube fan. The motor is open frame, but isolated from the fumes. Here's an example picture;

Tube_fan.jpg

I think he came across it at an auction for some company that was going out of business. Cost him 100$. Works nice.

As a side note, I've painted cars, bikes, guitars, and even helicopters, but I've never come across a booth with the fan on the intake side, always on the exhaust. Putting a fan on the intake side would just create too much turbulence inside the booth. You want to have as large a surface area as possible for the air coming into the booth to minimize air turbulence. This cuts down on dust movement, and in some cases "orange-peeling".

Cheers.

A buddy of mine built a booth in his garage. He used home heating furnace filters for the air intake on the door. For the exhaust he found a second hand 12" belt driven axial tube fan. The motor is open frame, but isolated from the fumes. Here's an example picture;

Tube_fan.jpg

I think he came across it at an auction for some company that was going out of business. Cost him 100$. Works nice.

As a side note, I've painted cars, bikes, guitars, and even helicopters, but I've never come across a booth with the fan on the intake side, always on the exhaust. Putting a fan on the intake side would just create too much turbulence inside the booth. You want to have as large a surface area as possible for the air coming into the booth to minimize air turbulence. This cuts down on dust movement, and in some cases "orange-peeling".

Cheers.

thats interesting, the paint booth we had when i was in auto body in high school for 2 years had intake fans.

also, is this as much of a concern if i plan to be spraying water based lacquer?

By "intake fans", do you mean that the fan was on the door side of the booth? If that's the case, this is a reverse flow booth. the fans still exhaust in this case. Another impracticallity of intake fans would be if your recovery filters on the exhaust side get too blocked up with paint, you would not be able to close the doors on the booth.

I know that due to new enviornmental standards everyone is switching to water based products, but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try any yet. All my experience has been with base/clears, acrylic enamels, polyurethanes, and some epoxy based stuff. Logic would dictate that the booth (cross-flow or down-draft) really shouldn't affect anything. I think temperature, humidity, pressure, and spray equipment would be the primary concerns. I don't see any body shops having to replace a 40000$ heated, water-recovery, down-draft booth just because they switch to water-base products.

Cheers.

By "intake fans", do you mean that the fan was on the door side of the booth? If that's the case, this is a reverse flow booth. the fans still exhaust in this case. Another impracticallity of intake fans would be if your recovery filters on the exhaust side get too blocked up with paint, you would not be able to close the doors on the booth.

I know that due to new enviornmental standards everyone is switching to water based products, but unfortunately I haven't had the chance to try any yet. All my experience has been with base/clears, acrylic enamels, polyurethanes, and some epoxy based stuff. Logic would dictate that the booth (cross-flow or down-draft) really shouldn't affect anything. I think temperature, humidity, pressure, and spray equipment would be the primary concerns. I don't see any body shops having to replace a 40000$ heated, water-recovery, down-draft booth just because they switch to water-base products.

Cheers.

i was mainly referring to the type of fan i used, as if i'm not mistaken, products like ktm-9 aren't explosive like solvent based lacquer...

You better move that BMW before you spray anything... Your going to get overspray all over that nice white paint.

first of all, it needs a paint job... second of all, no overspray has ever hit my car, i always get it far enough away. i don't think a tiny drop of paint is gonna travel that 20ft expanse, do you?

You better move that BMW before you spray anything... Your going to get overspray all over that nice white paint.

first of all, it needs a paint job... second of all, no overspray has ever hit my car, i always get it far enough away. i don't think a tiny drop of paint is gonna travel that 20ft expanse, do you?

Actually you'd be surprised, although my post was more of a joke than anything.