My First Project Guitar

finished shaping the head and drilled the post holes for the tuners, Then discovered the head thickness was 3mm too much and the tuner pegs wern't coming though!

Took the thicknes down with the router and now my volute looks really weird, feels comfortable enough though.

14_head4.jpg

13_head3.jpg

12_head2.jpg

11_head1.jpg

Now just have to hope it doesn't catastrophically fail when i first go to string it up!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That looks really sweet, I think part of the problem I'm having is just working out the shape it should be because of the diagonal nut. I can either make it normal and put where the midpoint of the nut meets the neck centreline or have it kind of angled.

I've not got a drum sander alas, In fact the only powertools I've really been using is a cheapo bandsaw and a cheapo router, all the rest of the shaping/sanding is being done by hand (my arms are killing me!)

Edited by Chonker

Done a bunch of stuff today.

Sorted out the volute with much rasping/sanding

18_volute.jpg

16_voluteside.jpg

Carved the neck, I think it might be a little on the thick side still but I keep getting nervous as it starts to look thin! I'm going to take a bunch off the back of my fretboard and then see how it feels to hold. Can also see the complex angle I cut the head at due to compounded scale, in future I don't think i'd do that again, it was a headache.

17_neckcarve.jpg

Also got the trussrod glued into place and cut to width/planed flat the sides at the body end ready to glue the wings on

15_trussrod.jpg

Now I'm gonna jump in the bath 'cos with all the sanding I've done I look like a bleeding flour grader!

Seems to be going along pretty nicely. I also like the look of that nice chunky neck. I would make it a v shape and use a nice glossy finish but that's just my preference for guitarsnecks.

Also I need to make up some sort of brige plate to hold my wilkinson style saddles to, I have been thinking about using some of the rosewood leftover from my fretboard. Do you think this might work? My concern is the little height adjust grubscrews burrowing their way into the wood rather than pushing up the saddles.

Also I need to make up some sort of brige plate to hold my wilkinson style saddles to, I have been thinking about using some of the rosewood leftover from my fretboard. Do you think this might work? My concern is the little height adjust grubscrews burrowing their way into the wood rather than pushing up the saddles.

Not quite sure I understand, but it sounds like you should use a metal plate rather than rosewood, if you're afraid of something burrowing into it.

This is a totally cool guitar! I agree, the thick neck looks cool. My suggestion (just a personal preference)... carve it into a V, but offset the center of the V from the neck centerline so that it's somewhere under the bass side of the neck. This makes for a very comfortable neck that fits in the crook of your hand easily. I did this on my last electric and it's my favorite guitar just because the neck is so comfortable.

Yea I was originally going to use a metal plate but I dont have anything suitable and was looking around for what else I might be able to use.

I think the rosewood would look nicer, though I could send the metal bridge off to get chromed, this will take time and slow completion of my build.

The bridge saddles have two little grubscrews running through them vertically to lift the front end up raising the string height. Similar to those on the stratocaster bridge.

I quite like the idea of that neck shape but I am mindful that I have to keep the neck so thick in the middle to allow something behind the trussrod! Also would that not make the strenght in the neck uneven and encourage bending/warping?

Edited by Chonker

I think the rosewood would look nicer, though I could send the metal bridge off to get chromed, this will take time and slow completion of my build.

I quite like the idea of that neck shape but I am mindful that I have to keep the neck so thick in the middle to allow something behind the trussrod! Also would that not make the strenght in the neck uneven and encourage bending/warping?

RW would look much better of course. Perhaps you could inlay a strip of metal or put some small screws in for the grub screws to rest on. Hopefully someone else will chime in; perhaps the wood alone won't be an issue, it just sounds like a problem to me.

As to the neck shape... you can always put some carbon fiber in if you're worried about the stiffness. Remember, too, the different string gauges have different amounts of tension when tuned to pitch, so I think any neck is already dealing with that. Also, I don't think it should affect your truss rod. I used a rod from LMI which needed a 3/8" deep channel, so there's a lot to work with there. The asymmetry of the carve isn't that pronounced.

FWIW, I'm pretty sure Tobias basses have an assymetric neck carve.

Using wood for the metal baseplate of a bridge will work if it's a fixed bridge and you shouldn't have to worry about the grub screws with a nice dense would like rosewood. If you are trying to make a trem then the bridge will crack under tension against the metal posts attaching it to the body. If you are going with a fixed bride you should be all set and if you are really worried you can just use some small ferrules or a small metal plate to hold the grub screws.

• 2 weeks later...

No progress shots for a little while as I have been mostly waiting for glue to dry!

Finished carving the neck and glued the wings to the body. The body parts slipped a bit as I glued it so I now have lots of planing to do to get it flat. At least I have a little more thickness than I want int he final body to play with. The weight balance seems body heavy at this point which I guess is great. hopefully this wont changed too much with the routing of the cavities.

20_gluedbodyside.jpg

21_gluedbodyfront.jpg

I've also been following a tutorial on here for fibreoptic sidemarkers, quite pleased with the results, alot of hassle to do though.

22_fibreopticchannels.jpg

23_fibreoptictest.jpg

Yea I went a bit further than intended really, once I thought I'd finishe with the spokeshave I noticed it was not straight, it was thinner in the middle and thicket at either end. By the time I got it down to a straight taper this is what I'm left with!

It looks bad but bear in mind that it's quite long (29" scale at the bottom) and the body is still overly thick as I've not planed it yet) also my fingerboard is thick and the thickness of this and the fingerboard together is no less than my ibanez 7 string so hopefully that's cool. Only time will tell I guess.

Edited by Chonker

Yea I went a bit further than intended really, once I thought I'd finishe with the spokeshave I noticed it was not straight, it was thinner in the middle and thicket at either end. By the time I got it down to a straight taper this is what I'm left with!

It looks bad but bear in mind that it's quite long (29" scale at the bottom) and the body is still overly thick as I've not planed it yet) also my fingerboard is thick and the thickness of this and the fingerboard together is no less than my ibanez 7 string so hopefully that's cool. Only time will tell I guess.

Ya still have to put 8 strings on it, and they're going to be both thicker than 50, by my guess.......

Time will tell.

And it's more important to have a thick neck back than fretboard.... But hey.

Ya still have to put 8 strings on it, and they're going to be both thicker than 50, by my guess.......

Time will tell.

And it's more important to have a thick neck back than fretboard.... But hey.

To take tension off and increase his range, he could go with a lower 7-string tuning and add a high G or something-- low to high ADGCFADG or a similar config. That way you have DGCFAD (lower than normal tension, as it's tuned down a full step) in the middle, with an extra low A and a high G up top.

Just an idea :D good work!

8 string compound scale for a first build? I like it!

I like the parker fly head stocks but not really the blackmachines, they just look a bit weird. I do like strings that span air though, does look cool when done right.

+1

Yeah, it's looking good man!

That thin neck makes the volute look a little beefier than ideal in my opinion, will you be shaping it some more as well?

Loving the idea of the multiscale/fanned fret/compound scale/just-gimme-a-minute-and-I'll-invent-my-own-term-for-it approach.

Never actually played one, but often wondered how it would feel to play...maybe I ought to make one as well...hmmm...

Like the body shape as well.

DJ

Did some shaping of the body this morning

24_bodycarve.jpg

25_bodycarve2.jpg

While shaping the neck to body curves i took a chunk out of the back face at the edge :D It caused me to shape down the neck to body which I was toying with anyway but that's not gone deep enough and there's still a small ding in the edge. Any ideas how I can deal with this?

26_hornding.jpg