Finishing Help Urgent?

hey, people i need help, thing is i've found this pretty hot guitar.......Explorer shape with kramer hot-rail style pickups, floyd rose trem..........well the finish is totally gone.............i need to paint this guitar................

here's what i want to do:

*Give the guitar a metallic black or glossy black finish

*Put on some graphics in Candy Red(Pretty small graphics, nothing big)

so what i need to know is what sort of stuff do i need. Don't need tutorials because projectguitar is filled with loads of awsome tutorials already. It would be good if people replied quickly cause i need to do this project fast!!!

Also, i tried spray-painting another guitar.........and it totally ruined it....i followed the book i got for it........i followed all the instructions but the paint kept dripping until it was super screwed

First thing is that finding candy colors in a spray can is tough. Some autobody suppliers will make up a two part poly can, but you have to make sure you have the right respiratory equipment because that stuff is very dangerous to breath. Second, any candy color over a black base is not going to really show at all. It is just going to look black. Third, you might want to slow down and practice. If you were getting nothing but runs, you are not spraying correctly. If you are in that much of a rush that this info is urgent and you can't practice, you are probably going to end up with a disaster. Plus very few of the rattle can clears dry quick enough that it would be usable in less than a few weeks.

First thing is that finding candy colors in a spray can is tough. Some autobody suppliers will make up a two part poly can, but you have to make sure you have the right respiratory equipment because that stuff is very dangerous to breath. Second, any candy color over a black base is not going to really show at all. It is just going to look black. Third, you might want to slow down and practice. If you were getting nothing but runs, you are not spraying correctly. If you are in that much of a rush that this info is urgent and you can't practice, you are probably going to end up with a disaster. Plus very few of the rattle can clears dry quick enough that it would be usable in less than a few weeks.

Alright, so candy colors are out of the question. I want a color type that would seem to "pop-out" on black.......should i use wood stains than? the thing is i'm refinishing this guitar for my sister and her birthday's in november. So i do have time to take the process slow and steady

Well you are pretty much out of luck with and type of transparent colors. A black base is always going to either make the color look extremely drak or just black. So that limits you to opaque colors. The good thing though, is pretty much almost anything will stand out then. Just stay away from other dark colors.

If you're bent on candy colors - House of Kolor has a few available in aerosol cans here in the states that you can find/get through a hobby store. Thing is - it's always best to stick with one kind of paint throughout, so HOK would be the way to go - just more expensive than say the old reliable "Painter's Touch". I have placed HOK on top of Painter's Touch Flat colors with no problem and top coated with HOK clear - no problem (it's a polyester finish - very hard, very shiny). The HOK paint is very thin so spray carefully and BE PATIENT. Candy colors are thin and transparent - this means you'll have to do a few coats to make the color really pop.

In your case, if you had the funds, an inexpensive airbrush setup with Auto Air colors would work as well. If you absolutely can't find HOK rattlecans anywhere, PM me.

The polyester clear coat the HOK makes is not the same as what is in the spary cans. The poly's and acrylics that are the very duarable ones are two parts and I have yet to find any where that offers the 2k mixing cans for HOK. I have seen other brands just not HOK. The stuff at the hobby stores is made in partner with Plastikote and is acrylic lacquer. Not nearly as durable and may cause finishing incompatabilities. I have one guitar sprayed with the rattle can HOK and then cleared with DEFT Nitro lacquer and had no problems, but that is not always a guarantee. Test first.

Not sure how well it would work or how practical this would be but how about...

- Strip & prep the guitar according to the tutorials

- Spray silver

- Mask off your graphics, then spray black

- Remove masking, spray with a tinted red clear coat (lots of coats, followed by the usual wetsanding/polishing)

I think that should give you candy red graphics on a black background?

Either that or as people have suggested, go with black and then an opaque metallic red for the graphics.

OK - for grins I tried this out. I am far from knowing everything and love to experiment. 1) HOK rattlecans state polyester finish, including clear, sprayed on top of Painter's Touch that had dried for 24 hours w/o problem. Result=Candy Coat. 2) Painter's Touch Aluminum base with PT Apple Red on top, using a stencil and staying about 2 feet away from test strip. Result = Kind of candy, but ugly. 3) PT Aluminum base + Createx Acrylic through Preval + PT Clear Gloss = Candy. NOTE!!! ALL COATS WERE VERY THIN AND ALLOWED 24 HOURS TO DRY. I DO NOT RECOMMEND MIXING BRANDS! This was an exception to create a way to solve the thread starters problem, nothing else. :D

Where did you find the HOK rattle cans with polyester in them? Last time I looked at those they didn't say anything on the can, but doing my own reseach I came up with acrylic lacquer in the cans. I may be interested in trying those if they are actual polyester.

Coast Airbrush is still carrying the Kustom Kolor line from the makers of HOK. Keep in mind it is not HOK, it is from the parent company Valspar attempting to get the same kolors.

And no RC racers don't use much kandy and won't drift from the known brands much.