Which Fret File Do I Need?

Donut Man

My local supplier sells Gurian fret files, they have a "wide" one which is .1875, a "medium" which is .125 and a half round one.

For jumbo fretwire, do I need the "wide" one? Since by the looks of it, Stewmac "wide" fretwire is only around .100

Unless fret files should be always wider than the fret wire?

I don't really do repairs or anything, and any guitar/bass I will ever built with have either jumbo or medium. I didn't phrase my question very well, what I mean to ask is, does the width of the fret file directly correspond with the width of the fretwire? As in the wide file would fit fretwire around .18 wide? That seems a little excessive since I've never seen fretwire that wide.

I don't really do repairs or anything, and any guitar/bass I will ever built with have either jumbo or medium. I didn't phrase my question very well, what I mean to ask is, does the width of the fret file directly correspond with the width of the fretwire? As in the wide file would fit fretwire around .18 wide? That seems a little excessive since I've never seen fretwire that wide.

It's the concave radius of the file that matters, not the width. The file will only touch a section of the top of the fret, not the whole fret. Having used the large size on jumbo wire and the medium size on standard wire, I wouldn't dream of switching it up. I think the curve of the large file would leave medium wire pretty flat on top, while the medium burr would try to file almost the whole fret. Get the size(s) you need and use them properly. :D