Plugging & Re-drilling Holes

Hi.

I am reworking s DIY bolt on neck to use threaded inserts.

It has an angled neck pocket.

Whereas with wood screws it was OK to drill straight through at 90deg to the back & let the wood screws bite, I figure the new holes will need to be at 90deg to the bottom surface of the neck ie the inner angled surface of the neck pocket.

I feel plugging & re-drilling the holes in the neck pocket would be safest.

But my dowling is too thin, & the other bit too thick.

So How do I 'thickness' dowling to get the right diameter?

Also is there another way instead of plugging & re-drilling?

Could I pack in some sort of epoxy & re drill after it hardens?...well I could..but would it work well?

Is there some other better way?

Cheap, easy way to get your dowels to the right thickness... My DIY Lathe-

Cut your dowel down to about 2" more than the length you'll need. Put the dowel into your drill press the way you'd normally put a drill bit in. Make sure it's straight. I'd advise goggles and a shop apron, in case anything breaks and gets thrown. If it's variable speed, go with Low.

Grab some 100-ish grit sandpaper and wrap it around your spinning dowel. Apply gentle pressure up and down the length of the dowel in order to get an even cut. This might take 5-10 minutes... I'd advise stopping every few minutes to do a test fit.

I've done this in the past with success, let me know how it works for you.

Cheap, easy way to get your dowels to the right thickness... My DIY Lathe-

Cut your dowel down to about 2" more than the length you'll need. Put the dowel into your drill press the way you'd normally put a drill bit in. Make sure it's straight. I'd advise goggles and a shop apron, in case anything breaks and gets thrown. If it's variable speed, go with Low.

Grab some 100-ish grit sandpaper and wrap it around your spinning dowel. Apply gentle pressure up and down the length of the dowel in order to get an even cut. This might take 5-10 minutes... I'd advise stopping every few minutes to do a test fit.

I've done this in the past with success, let me know how it works for you.

Sounds do-able. Thanks for the tip. It will be tomorrow before I get a shot at it.

Thanks again.

why not just redrill the holes to the size of your larger dowels??

cheers

darren

why not just redrill the holes to the size of your larger dowels??

cheers

darren

I think I will.

The larger dowelling fits a 15/64 hole very well, & 15/64 is not too large. The holes are just a bit near the edges of the neck pocket.

Thanks.