7 String Zebrawood / Padouk

Hey guys,

Here's FINALLY another finished one. Zebrawood 3/4 inch cap on a quartersawn mahogany/birdseye maple back. The neck is padouk with a figured maple fretboard in a 25 inch scale. The cavity cover is a piece of mun ebony - nice and strong and won't split under screw pressure.

The hardware is all hipshot - locking tuners and their floating ball bearing trem. Pickups are an EMG 81-7 and 707.

I'm just calling this one "Redcap" because of the padouk headstock and the crazy body.

P1030842-1.jpg

P1030854.jpg

Shot of the back

Shot of the fretboard and headstock

Neck joint and ribbony mahogany

Back of the headstock

Just what kinds of tones are we talking about, here? I've never played an exotic wood guitar, and neither of them are carried where I shop for lumber (in anything other than 3/4" thick), but I can dream, can't I? :D

It really depends but I generally use sold zebra wings and padauk for a neck through blank. It gives a warmer tone similar to mahogany but with a lot more weight. Most of your exotics are heavy (most, not all) but when it comes to the look, it’s worth the added weight to me.

I’m currently working on a flat sawn zebra viper copy that’s a neck through solid zebra with an ebony board. Should turn out nice and have a very warm tone when it’s done.

As with any wood, exotic or domestic, tone is in the ear of the listener so it’s virtually impossible to say this wood or that wood sounds like…

Hey guys! This guitar is definitely a heavyweight, but the damn thing resonates like mad. If I play it on my lap, I can feel the vibes in my feet. It's so weird.

Overall it plays pretty good and sounds pretty good. I didn't really see an issue with the scale length being 25 as Epiphone put out a bunch at 24.75 which i've played. The tension on this thing is quiet good actually!

The sound thru the amp is really really tight and focused. It could use a wee bit more bottom but c'est la vie. :D