Pickup Suggestions For A 335 For Blues

John Abbett

All,

I'm working on a 335 build, and am starting to think about pickups. Gibson puts 57 classic pickups in their 335 builds, and I like the sound the TV Jones pickups that the Gretch uses. I also like the Burst Bucker Pro that Gibson puts in their SG's. I put the Burst Bucker in my last SG build and it sounds really good. I put made in usa gibson pickups in my Les Paul I made last year, and they sound good too, not as warm as the burst bucker pro. The pickups I have in my Epiphone Custom Les Paul sound like crap in comparison to all of the above - very thin and weak.

That's the extent of my knowledge about pickups.

I play blues/rock and like a deep warm tone. I imtent on putting a bigsby on this one, which I don't think matters when talking pickups.

Can you recommend a pickup or two that I should research as a possible choice? There is plenty of info about pickups out there, but I could use some suggestions to narrow the possibilities.

Thanks!

-John

Don't know if you have your mind set on HBs. If not: my all time top choice pickup is P90! They are warm with a full, quite hot output and still retain that single coil top end/edge/openness to cut through the cymbals from a drummer or a keyboard player or horns or whatever. And the gritty sound they produce is (IMHO) perfect for both rock and blues. Can’t beat a P90 for slide playing.

Don't know if you have your mind set on HBs. If not: my all time top choice pickup is P90! They are warm with a full, quite hot output and still retain that single coil top end/edge/openness to cut through the cymbals from a drummer or a keyboard player or horns or whatever. And the gritty sound they produce is (IMHO) perfect for both rock and blues. Can’t beat a P90 for slide playing.

Ok, great, that's what I'm looking for - suggestions on what to research. Is there a particular brand of P90 that I should look into, read up on?

-John

Ok, great, that's what I'm looking for - suggestions on what to research. Is there a particular brand of P90 that I should look into, read up on?

-John

Hmm, I just did a search for P90, no results. It should have brought back a ton. Is the search feature broken?

-J

-John

Hmm, I just did a search for P90, no results. It should have brought back a ton. Is the search feature broken?

-J

I'm a P-90 fan too. The originals were (I think) Gibson, so google "Gibson P90". I think most pup manufactures will do a P-90. I know Bare Knuckle do two different types (BKP-90 and BKP-91) so that could be a good place to start.

Edited by ToneMonkey

-John

-J

I'm a P-90 fan too. The originals were (I think) Gibson, so google "Gibson P90". I think most pup manufactures will do a P-90. I know Bare Knuckle do two different types (BKP-90 and BKP-91) so that could be a good place to start.

Been looking at google for a while. Sounds like P90's are single coil, wide and thin, with non-magnetic poles sitting on top of alnico magnets. The wide and thin gives it a different sound.

I'm off to the guitar center to have a listen.

The search feature of this board must have a minimum number of characters for search. I can search pickup, but not p90. Not enough characters I guessing.

-J

Is there a particular brand of P90 that I should look into, read up on?

I make my own, but my first set of P90s was Gibson originals and they are really nice.

The search function requires a minimum of four characters. That rules out P90…

I'm a P-90 fan too. The originals were (I think) Gibson, so google "Gibson P90

Jupp, you’re right. Gibson invented the P90s. I *think* they were made as a simpler alternative to the “Charlie Christian” pickup.

Been looking at google for a while. Sounds like P90's are single coil, wide and thin, with non-magnetic poles sitting on top of alnico magnets. The wide and thin gives it a different sound.

Yeah. The P90 has a wider, shorter coil with much more wire than a Fender style coil. A Strat pickup is usually around 7500 turns and a P90 is 10 000 turns, resulting in a higher output. The wide shape of the coil also emphasis the midrange a bit more and pick up much more of the strings harmonics. The magnetic field is formed by using a magnetized screws going through the coil, being “activated” by two opposing Alnico5 bar magnets underneath the coil. This makes a very complex magnetic field compared to a fender style pickup. This also helps to shape the sound of the pickup.