Prs Build

Hello folks........need some help!

I plan on doing a prs build. I bought a template kit a while back. My concern is the carved top among other questions.

I have a piece of 8/4 walnut that's 14" wide so a one piece is the plan. I want to cap that with a nice flame top.

What should my main body wood(walnut ) be thickness planned to??? I plan on a 3/4 or thicker for the maple top. What should my overall thickness be ? I also plan on a bolt on neck. That being the case will I need to angle the top for the carve?

My other concern is of course the carve itself. I don't have a prs on hand to mock up measure the carve outline. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Hello folks........need some help!

I plan on doing a prs build. I bought a template kit a while back. My concern is the carved top among other questions.

I have a piece of 8/4 walnut that's 14" wide so a one piece is the plan. I want to cap that with a nice flame top.

What should my main body wood(walnut ) be thickness planned to??? I plan on a 3/4 or thicker for the maple top. What should my overall thickness be ? I also plan on a bolt on neck. That being the case will I need to angle the top for the carve?

My other concern is of course the carve itself. I don't have a prs on hand to mock up measure the carve outline. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

Hi Tom, I think I can help a little.

The thickness of the body (walnut in your case) is really up to you. If you want to use the PRS values then the mahogany thickness of a McCarty is around 31mm, and a Custom is about 3mm less. For the maple top 3/4" (19mm) is about right, PRS seem to use thinner tops (around 1/2") and thicker bodies for the Singlecut.

I made my second build with 31mm mahogany body and 19mm maple top, so the total thickness was 50mm.

Regarding the top angle, it doesn't really matter if you do a bolt-on or a set neck. It will affect the look of the carving and the perceived neck-to-body angle, though. I did both and I liked the angled top better.

Of course the neck-to-top angle will have to be designed taking the usual factors into account: bridge type, heigh, string action, etc.

You may find it useful to have a look at my last finished build (see signature), there you'll see how I carved mine and you'll find some discussions about the top angle.

Hope it helps.

Luis

Thanks much Black dog! awesome builds by the way! sure gives me inspiration. I started building a few yrs ago. I've done a few Rg bodies and a strat....just the body only. Still a bit scared to play with a neck build. I get my necks through warmoth or musikraft...so I guess i cheat a little. The prs carved top is a whole new challenge for me so wish me luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks much Black dog! awesome builds by the way! sure gives me inspiration. I started building a few yrs ago. I've done a few Rg bodies and a strat....just the body only. Still a bit scared to play with a neck build. I get my necks through warmoth or musikraft...so I guess i cheat a little. The prs carved top is a whole new challenge for me so wish me luck!

Now that I re-read your posting I think that you should definitely give building your own neck a try...

The carving of the top is indeed a nice challenge, but carving a neck is not really that difficult after all and it is fun and very rewarding.

I really enjoy working on the necks, and it gives you the possibility to tailor the instrument to your liking a lot more than any bought neck will.