My Clapton Sg

I'm no artist, and I'm a bit of a hack at the guitar-building game, but I figured I'd share my most recent project. I've always liked the look of Clapton's psychedelic sg, so I figured I'd pick up a cheapish sg and give it a whirl. Armed with a couple crappy computer-screen-resolution pics, a B-stock Epiphone G-400, a cheap set of acrylics, and a couple rattlecans of satin poly, here's what I ended up with:

DOUGSSG2.jpg

and the back:

For anyone interested, here's what I did:

1-remove hardware and scuff the paint with 320 grit

2-mask and prime the body with artists gesso

3-trace the body and scan it into the computer

4-blow up pics found on the internet and size them to fit the scanned image

5-print it out in reverse and trace all the lines with pencil

6-place the drawing pencil side down on the body and rub the clean side, transfering the pencil marks to the primed body

7-paint (I used a cheap set of artists brushes).

8-mask and clear coat. I used Varathane water-based satin poly in rattlecans. We'll see how it holds up.

9-replace hardware and start playing! (I had to christen it with NSU, but then it was back to my usual blues licks)

There was a bit of a learning curve, since I have never painted before, but I'm satisfied with the way it turned out.

Thanks for the kind words.

DOUGSSG1.jpg

and the back again.

I haven't had a chance to take it outside for a photoshoot yet, so I'm stuck with pictures taken inside with the flash on for now.

The only part I'm not entirely satisfied with is the circle on the back. Other than that it came out better than I had anticipated (I wasn't expecting much from my painting skills).