Need Opinions For Finish

So I'm about to finish my 1st project, will post pics, and I'm starting to think about my next one. I'm gonna build a strat with a Ibanez Roadstar 440 neck (stripped), a Carvin Alder body ($135), a Fishman VS-50P Powerbridge Pickup, and some other crap . I originally wanted to make it creamsicle orange, like the Capri Orange Fender. Now after using lacquer to refinish my Schecter Blackhawk, I like the look but the back of the neck is too slow, so I think I'm gonna hit it with a sandblaster. I still dont like how bad that stuff is for the environment. My girlfriend has a cheap fender beginner guitar and I love the finish on the neck. Idk what it is though. I felt the same thing on a ESP with a FR I rewired.

So here are my questions-

Is there a good way to get the color I want on the body without using lacquer?

If not,

What do you think I should do with it?

also for the neck,

What is the fastest finish?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

So I'm about to finish my 1st project, will post pics, and I'm starting to think about my next one. I'm gonna build a strat with a Ibanez Roadstar 440 neck (stripped), a Carvin Alder body ($135), a Fishman VS-50P Powerbridge Pickup, and some other crap . I originally wanted to make it creamsicle orange, like the Capri Orange Fender. Now after using lacquer to refinish my Schecter Blackhawk, I like the look but the back of the neck is too slow, so I think I'm gonna hit it with a sandblaster. I still dont like how bad that stuff is for the environment. My girlfriend has a cheap fender beginner guitar and I love the finish on the neck. Idk what it is though. I felt the same thing on a ESP with a FR I rewired.

So here are my questions-

Is there a good way to get the color I want on the body without using lacquer?

If not,

What do you think I should do with it?

also for the neck,

What is the fastest finish?

Your opinions will be appreciated.

why not finish the body and headstock in lacquer, and give the neck an oil finish? you should also consider KTM9 if you're worried about the environment.

Why not finish the body and headstock in lacquer, and give the neck an oil finish? you should also consider KTM9 if you're worried about the environment.

I've never even heard of KTM. This stuff looks great. Its got the look I want and I wont be hurting good ol' mother nature. Apparently Stewmac came out with a waterbase lacquer too. Its a lot cheeper, but idk how good it is. Have you used KTM? Has anyone used the Stewmac ColorTone Waterbase Lacquer? Also, what oil should I use for the neck? My girlfriend has a Squier That I play when I stay at her house and its a POS but I really like way the neck feels. Its got a satin look to it.

Why not finish the body and headstock in lacquer, and give the neck an oil finish? you should also consider KTM9 if you're worried about the environment.

I've never even heard of KTM. This stuff looks great. Its got the look I want and I wont be hurting good ol' mother nature. Apparently Stewmac came out with a waterbase lacquer too. Its a lot cheeper, but idk how good it is. Have you used KTM? Has anyone used the Stewmac ColorTone Waterbase Lacquer? Also, what oil should I use for the neck? My girlfriend has a Squier That I play when I stay at her house and its a POS but I really like way the neck feels. Its got a satin look to it.

i'm using ktm9 for the first time right now, i've put about 8 coats on a neck, and just put the first coat on the body. if stewmac sells it for cheaper, i'm sure its just as good.

edit: wow, 1 gallon for 45 bucks, i'm gonna try it next.

Edited by ElysianGuitars

Geo mentions this stuff called Tru-oil

"Here's the page where I bought it. If you're not in the States, it might be more of a hassle. I bought the 32oz and it was about $23 with shipping... much better than 3oz for $8.10 from LMI!

http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html

(click on wood finishing)

I just noticed you joined the day after I did!"

i just ordered a whole gallon of the stewmac waterbased finish :D

I'm sure I'm not the only one that's curious to hear how it performs. Please let us know.

i'm hoping its comparable to the ktm9, only better. i'm finding the ktm9 is a lot easier to get runs in than the nitro i'm used to... i'm really curious as to why its so much cheaper than the ktm9

Edited by ElysianGuitars

Hey ElysianGuitars, what are you spraying anyway? Did you know that satin finish is just regular finish with really fine silica sand in it. It scatters the light making it appear duller and softer. Cool huh I learned that from thewoodwhisperer.com or one of his links. Great Podcast!!

i didn't know that, thats pretty cool. i just spray guitars, i've just had one customer request a satin finish, which is why i'd need some of that.