Help - Is This An Earth (ground) Problem?

Denis

I am trying to put a tele together, and it's not going well for a number of reasons. I need some basic help, please.

It's very conventional electronically, with single coil bridge and neck pickups and a "normal" control panel that I bought in. I wired it all up before finishing it so that I could check it was OK, and because I am an impatient kinda person, and wanted to hear it.

I have not shielded any of the cavities with copper yet. When I switch to the neck pup, it sounds OK (ish), but there's a residual hum that goes when I touch either the bridge or the control panel. So I guess that I need to ground the bridge and shield the cavities?

When I swich to the central or bridge position, there is an almighty hum, and that's all. No sound from the strings.

My first thought was that the pup was faulty, so I have taken that direct to the jack, and it works as well as the bridge does. I know that the switch is OK as I checked that as part of working out how to wire it up.

Where do I do from here?

Thanks in advance

Denis

When I swich to the central or bridge position, there is an almighty hum, and that's all. No sound from the strings.

My first thought was that the pup was faulty, so I have taken that direct to the jack, and it works as well as the bridge does. I know that the switch is OK as I checked that as part of working out how to wire it up.

Where do I do from here?

Thanks in advance

Denis

My advice would be to fix the second problem first. Hum and no sound most likely means it is wired incorrectly.

Edited by bluesy