Amp Wiring

john123

Hi guys i'm sure this is a question asked so many times but I couldn't find in anywhere so here goes.

I making a tube amp and cabinet and was wondering what cable, jacks and plugs I need to connect them?

I am using 2 16ohn 10" speakers so I will wire them in parallel. Do I use stereo or mono jacks and plugs?

Cheers for the help

Edited by john123

Hi guys i'm sure this is a question asked so many times but I couldn't find in anywhere so here goes.

I making a tube amp and cabinet and was wondering what cable, jacks and plugs I need to connect them?

I am using 2 16ohn 10" speakers so I will wire them in parallel. Do I use stereo or mono jacks and plugs?

Cheers for the help

Two 16 ohm speakers in parallel will give you an 8 ohm load. It's mono, so all you need is a mono jack and plug. There are a few different types commonly used. I have heard of 6.3mm phone, 3 pin Canon, and neutrik, all being used. For home and light use, the 6.3mm phone jack/plugs are cheap and work fairly well. However, once, on a powerful, well sealed cabinet, I had troubles where the air pressure from the speaker, on loud transients, caused the 6.3mm jack to "bounce" in it's socket and caused horrible sounds as it disconnected the signal momentarily. Not good for the amp either. So, I often use canon plugs (same as used for balance microphones), in bigger stuff.

Ok great so I would get one of these and two of these in order to connect the head to the cabinet?

Do I also get about 16 gauge speaker wire to connect them?

I believe those connectors would work fine. As for wire gauge, I find it's better to have the toughest stuff you can buy, because speaker leads have a hard life :D, and that's usually what determines the size for me. A nice cheap way is to get figure 8 cord like they use for lamps and other unearthed mains powered devices.