Do I need a scarfed neck joint?

thank you my photo.

today. i work neck head working. all by my hand.. knife, planner..

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

neck wood is sapele, ebony.., head side wood is walnut..

my neck radius is 14",

next time i will fretting work & make grip...

bye..

thank you my photo.

neck wood is sapele, ebony.., head side wood is walnut..

my neck radius is 14",

bye..

You're welcome!

Have you ever made an electric neck with no radius? Flat like a classical guitar? I see that you and your luthiery teacher are classical guitar makers. I tend to like flater radius-ed necks and I don't feel a comfort advantage of having any radius... but then I'm a classical guitarist pretending to be a metalhead :D.

The neck in those pics looks very nice.

One thing I noticed is that the way the joint is made in those pics is not the way they are done by Ibanez and others. If you notice, the joint does not extend beyond the first fret (at least as far as I can see). The construction technique is fine, I'm sure - I'm not saying there is a problem. I'm just saying that Ibanez and others actually construct that joint differently.

It is hard to see in those pics if the starting and ending points are different or just the overall length of the joint is smaller in his. Take a look at an Ibanez neck or at Warmoth's angled neck blanks. They use slightly thicker peghead stock where it is glued and the joint ends up between the 1st and second fret. The peghead stock is thinned to the normal 1/2" but where it meets the neck, it was originally thicker.

What I don't know is if this method is used to purposely move the joint back further or if there are other reasons for it.

Anyway, as a player, I never notice the scarf joint and wouldn't really care. As a builder, I prefer the scarf joint.