Before Or After?

Im sure ill get some advice here, hopefully!!! I am ready to put a finish on a Triple 0 kit from Stew Mac, putting a french polish on it. Stew Mac recommend leaving the bridge till after the finish, I have thought long and hard about it and think it would be "cleaner" to go opposite way!!! I know it would be easier to apply a finish without the bridge there, its a Spruce top. Any opinions folks.

I think the reason to finish the guitar and then scrape for the bridge is to ease the polishing/buffing/etc. of the top. If you're french polishing it, it may not make a difference (don't know how easy it would be to french polish around the bridge).

I would rather glue the bridge on before getting shellac on the top. Somehow I don't think the bridge would bond as well to shellac as it would to bare wood.

1. It is really hard to french polish around a bridge. I made that mistake on my first build. It's hard to get a good finish around the bridge.

2. Through my own and my dad's research, almost anything should stick to shellac.

Have fun french polishing. It will take a lot of time to do but it looks great and sounds great too. The kit I built cost $89. A friend of mine played it for about a half an hour and told me I could sell it for 200 or 300 (which made me happy, he owns a martin and a fender acoustic). I attribute most of the sound to the thin FP finish.

I think the reason to finish the guitar and then scrape for the bridge is to ease the polishing/buffing/etc. of the top. If you're french polishing it, it may not make a difference (don't know how easy it would be to french polish around the bridge).

I would rather glue the bridge on before getting shellac on the top. Somehow I don't think the bridge would bond as well to shellac as it would to bare wood.

Thanks for the advice, will finish and scrape clear for bridge.