What Can Be Used For A Sanding Drum

madawgony

I am looking to build a drum sander. I have almost all of the hardware around the shop except for the drum. I have seen several drums made from plywood or mdf (many circles cut and "threaded" on a rod).

Any suggestions on somehting else that could be used?

for $10 you can order a sanding drum kit from grizzly that could help but I think I've seen pvc pipe used if yoi could find a way to attach a threaded rod to it and use stick on sandpaper.

You can.

1. Use MDF disks glued together, be sure to put a pin through the center rod so they don't slip if something binds.

2. Use PVC with wood plugs in the ends.

3. Buy a replacement part for a drum sander.

If you go with #2, it's hard to get it perfectly centered. You can't sand a lot off to get it centered if you need to. If you go with #1 you put sand paper on the table, rase the table and it automatically centers, and rounds your drum perfectly aligned to the table.

If you go with #3, it's expensive. You would have to shim to make it parallel with the table.

I did #1, and it worked well.

-J

I made one following the instructions in one of those "greatest shop tips" type books. I would think something identical could be found online. Probably a repeated question/topic on woodworking forums.

Mine consists of a carboard tube about 2.5" to 3.5" diameter. Cardboard is probably around 1/8" thick. Beats me right now where I got that cardboard tube from.

Then with a hole saw, I got two 1/2 or 3/4 thick plywood disks. Enlarged hole in center so some big 1/2 or 5/8 bolt would fit snugly through. I think maybe the disks are tapered. Put the bolt though one disk, then hollow carboard tube down over that, then pack the hell out of the hollow tube with sawdust, then put the other disk on, add washer and bolt to threaded shaft of bolt, screw the sucker tight. the sawdust compresses making the whole thing more rigid. Have to use sticky backed sandpaper to get it to stay on the cardboard disk. Then you chuck that threaded end of the bolt in your drill press. Certainly some "run-out" going on. I have kept 60 grit on that thing for years.

It's one way of doing it, but I won't say it's the best way.

I have some smaller standard store bought rubber/metal ones. Plus I'll even do something crazy like stick sandpaper to the outside of a hole-saw to make a "sanding drum".

I think if I make another, I'll try something like staked MDF fitted tightly on a plain steel shaft.

You can.

1. Use MDF disks glued together, be sure to put a pin through the center rod so they don't slip if something binds.

2. Use PVC with wood plugs in the ends.

3. Buy a replacement part for a drum sander.

If you go with #2, it's hard to get it perfectly centered. You can't sand a lot off to get it centered if you need to. If you go with #1 you put sand paper on the table, rase the table and it automatically centers, and rounds your drum perfectly aligned to the table.

If you go with #3, it's expensive. You would have to shim to make it parallel with the table.

I did #1, and it worked well.

-J

How did you make the mdf discs? I am considering doing this and the only things I'm confused on is how to make the discs best and what sandpaper to use. I am thinking maybe if I make a disc on the lathe and drill a hole in the center. Than I could make a bunch of copies on a router table but how do I get all the holes so they line up?