Need advise on Guitar building

dont get discoraged if you dont have the cash, lgm is right you'd rather spend a little more on quallity that buy crap and replace it in a year!

but also dont get to far ahead of your self! i think i did so i am taking a step back to get some breathing room and to focus more, i know for me i started thinking yeah! this will be great i can just go and make a killing right away! but its not like that, i made a few prototypes and i use them for my gigs to see what i would want to change and what i will keep the same, i got lucky cause for the most part the design is great! but there are a few things im changing to speed up production and create a better musical instrument. you are young so you have time, does your family support you? this is a big thing luckily my wife supports me or else id be srewed. good luck and i wish you the best!

Kick A$$ Luthier School

This is the place to go if you can get the cash/loans. I have a friend in their current class. He said many of the people in the class get jobs for companies while in class.

Be prepared as an independant luthier to do lots of repair work and not so much building from what i learned in my reasearch.

sixstring is right that is a very good school! i know a few builders that only will hire from there!

I've read on other forums that some builders WONT hire you right out of a school, they want someone with experience, not a certificate of lithurie.

I think the best approach would be to keep building guitars. You say you're in high school, take advantage of your school's wood shop (assuming they have one) and build a few guitars there - that's what I did. I don't think building guitars is really a career where you can make a whole lot of money, MAYBE enough to support yourself and do it full time once you have a reputation and a steady flow of guitars, but you wont get rich off it, and I was told by a local luthier it helps to have a wife or girlfriend to support you.

Do you want to work for a place, like the ESP Custom shop, or do you want to have your own line of custom guitars?

Right now I just do custom designs and one-offs, one at a time, as a hobby and I like it this way. I don't ever want to get so big I need to hire employees.

Right now I just do custom designs and one-offs, one at a time, as a hobby and I like it this way.  I don't ever want to get so big I need to hire employees.

Yeah, until your wife and three kids start demanding a five bedroom, two story house, and calling you the weak link in the finance chain. B)

Dont worry, it happens to all of us at some stage! :D:D