Acoustic Guitar Mods!

Hi, I've been looking for information on this but I can't seem to find anything and I figured you bright fellas might know a thing or two!

So heres what I'm going to do. Basiclly I'm picking up this old acoustic guitar tonight from my friend for 20$ because he doesnt play and its just collecting dust. I also have a few pickups lying around (not acoustic pickups) so I was thinking I'll fit them into the acoustic and get a cool sound from it. Just a cheap little project I dont want to spend much money.

The thing is obviously a pickup wont fit in it and i was wondering what would be the best way to do it?

-And i want the pickup to be a neck pickup, not really worried about the bridge.

Idea 1. Buy an electric guitar pickguard and somehow install it on that then put it so it slips in the soundhole.

2. But a soundhole filler and install it in there (i dont really want to do that because its not going to sound great when I play it acousticly.

3. Basiclly just add some wood to the side of the pickup then screw it in the soundhole as close to the neck as possible.

Anyways if someone could send me out some ideas or links. I'm going to keep no researching. I'm gonna try to get this done this weekend or by monday.

Thanks!

If you're into chopping it up a bit, just rout out the pickup behind the soundhole and use the springs on the pickup to adjust height - like using a pickguard, only straight through the guitar top. You don't indicate single coil or hb. Also - where are you going to put the pots? :D Presumably, you could flatten a spot on the top and add a volume pot there, same with an output jack at the bottom (although this would use a bit of wire). May want to also consult with PSW on here who has some rather interesting ideas on pickups of all variety (especially sustainers).

Opps yea its a HB, not a single coil. Yeah i was thinking about doing that, but what you mean is the pickup would be placed umm...below the soundwhole right? I was just thinking of somehow putting it where the soundhole is so its closer to the neck.

Yeah i was thinking if i put a pickguard i can removed some of the top of the guitar, wire it to the pickguard and then plop it on top. (like a strat)

Sorry I'm geting PSW is a person on this forum? Yeah I would like to add some extras in the wiring since I only want to put 1 pickup. Maybe also a small EQ.

If you're into chopping it up a bit, just rout out the pickup behind the soundhole and use the springs on the pickup to adjust height - like using a pickguard, only straight through the guitar top. You don't indicate single coil or hb. Also - where are you going to put the pots? :D Presumably, you could flatten a spot on the top and add a volume pot there, same with an output jack at the bottom (although this would use a bit of wire). May want to also consult with PSW on here who has some rather interesting ideas on pickups of all variety (especially sustainers).

i would not recommend this, if its an X braced guitar, say goodbye to your structural stability, you'll ruin the guitar.

Sorry I'm geting PSW is a person on this forum?

PSW is more of a bitter and twisted character of a person...barely human really...and incredibly self obsessed...

No need to reinvent the wheel, or get too complicated with it...and on a twenty dollar guitar...you can do what you like :D

Sound hole pickups were the norm before piezos took over, even dimazio had a clip in HB that was identical to a superdistortion when you opened it up!. One problem is that the bronze wrap of acoustic strings is not magnetic...but the cores inside are so it will work but the balance can be a little off...that shouldn't stop you, adjust the pickup, adjust your amp...install electric strings on the thing!

If you want to make it a little more permanent, a neck mounted pickup could be installed into the sound hole and structurally a bit can be taken out of the hole to fit it closer to the neck. Instead of a pickguard on top....consider something that fits inside the hole and mounts from below perhaps.

You won't need a sustainer :D as you will get plenty of feedback at any kind of volume...hehehehe

Some of these things can sound pretty good...a different kind of project as it is an arch top...but the jazzstrat thing is much like this but I don't have to watch for x bracing and as it will be primarily and electric guitar and quiet acoustic...I'm no adverse to adding a little support inside if needed.

There are any number of "sound hole pickups" on the market with different ways of mounting them that might give you ideas...if you want volume and tone controls...you could mount them in the top...or up on the side...

Have some fun with it...maybe post some pics...sounds like a good plan...don't listen to psw untill he starts making some sense... B)

Thanks alot PSW, pretty cool introduction to yourself lol.

So yeah basiclly it seems the easiest/cheapest thing would be to convert my electric guitar pickup into and makeshift soundhole pickup.

So in a nutshell the difference between the two (structurally) is they are longer so you can screw it in the wood, or they have clips at the end so grib on the soundhole edge.

***Update heres an example a quick 3d model to explain what i mean.

test.jpg

Edited by spacecowboy

Don't know why it wouldn't. What are you making those little mounting bracket things out of? Rather than screwing them into the soundboard, I'd glue them. That way, if it doesn't work out, you can always remove it with heat, if you're careful.

Whatever you do, make sure you update us. Sound clips too, if possible!

EDIT: Also, for strings, consider hybrid strings like DR Zebras. I have some on order, and am anxious to see what they're capable of.

Edited by dpm99

Cool that sounds better than screwing it in. Would i have to sand a bit of the varnish off to glue wood on wood? I have some wood glue i think.

I was thinking of just getting some 11 or 12 flatwound electric strings. What are hybrids? I'm guessing half acoustic half electric material?

Edited by spacecowboy

I'd approach this by making a plywood mount for the pickup that could be manipulated into the sound hole and glued from the inside...much as you have proposed...the commercial ones tend to clamp in or have a spring to hold them into place to allow them to be removed without alteration...many have a guitar lead attached so you can plug them directly into the amp as well.

Normal Acoustic strings have enough steel in the cores to get a reasonable amount of output but might be a little low in the bass strings...any electric strings will work out fine but give a little less acoustic volume...

good luck with it all...

pete

You don't have to glue or screw anything into the soundboard. Don't those Sunrise acoustic pickups mount into the sound-hole with some kind of clamping mechanism(s) ?

I once mounted a hot Fender single-coil in the sound-hole of an old Harmony short-scale acoustic. Sound very good. I made it totally reversible by making some brakets out of cut up popsicle sticks, which clamped to the sound-hole edges then the single coil mounted on to that. The pickup wire coming out of the sound-hole with a loose output jack on the end was a little annoying (I didn't even want to drill for a jack in the guitar).

If you actually mentioned somewhere what make/model this "old acoustic" is, I missed it. But just because you get a really good deal, doesn't mean you can't shoot yourself in the foot by doing invasive mods.

That old Harmony I didn't want to permanently mod was bought for one dollar at a yard sale.

The popsicle stick wood was just a good small size for the job. 2 cut pieces clamped along the edge of the soundboard held together with screws (but the screws only going through/into the popsicle wood). Sound board between the two pieces with an edge hanging off into the sound-hole far enough that another hole could be drilled through that for the pickup mounting/height adjusting screw/spring.

And the same thing going on for the other end of the pickup.

Height adjustment for that kind of pickup was essential for me to get it sounding good. Only reason I took it out was because I wanted the pickup to go in a Strat. Hard telling what happened to the pickup mounting pieces that I had made. 15 years ago, or so.

Just looked up the sunrise pickup, and that's not the one I had in mind. I remember back in the 80's someone was making a humbucker that could mount in a sound-hole without drilling or gluing. Maybe it was even made by Sunrise, but their current soundhole pickup is more basic (but not a bad idea, including how it slips over the sound-hole edges)

i would not recommend this, if its an X braced guitar, say goodbye to your structural stability, you'll ruin the guitar.

+1000

Ok, ok, so I missed the x-brace factor on this one. On a $20 guitar, is that really a concern when if you going to put a soundhole pickup configuration in there - what is the experiment? You can always re-stabilize it. If you put an electric pickup in there and steel strings... ok cool, but how then do you play around with pickup placement being a factor? Just curious - sounds like this would be more fun/challenge???

Sorry pickup placement? im building the clamp/holding thing for the pickups right now but i want to wire it also before i put it in the guitar (pics to come).

I found this wiring scheme looks pretty interested...but the thing is i\'m a noob at reading schematics...like maybe theres resources i can learn how to wire... i know the middle lug of a cap is the out...but im not sure how to wire everything properly....so i need help :S

I gave it a shot but i\'m like 90% sure its not right what i drew up.

wiring.jpg

Srry i posted the wrong pic, heres my drawing

**Also since you guys are more experienced with wiring and have more experienced, if you have any ideas dont be shy to make it better or throw something in.

Edited by spacecowboy

In your diagram, you only have two contacts on your switch instead of three (you need a single pole double throw [sPDT]). So some of it is drawn wrong from there. Also, the diagram doesn't show any of the grounds.

There isn't much to that schematic. To my eyes, it is its own wiring diagram (i.e. no need to redraw it). But of course we'll help you out if it's not making sense. Also, you might get a better response in the electronics board.