Preview Of My Namm Build...

Boggs

I am building this one for Hipshot to demo their hardware at their booth at NAMM this January. It's the new RockBeach CamelBack II (chambered, of course). I just have a grain filling sealcoat on it right now. It is not finished by any stretch of the imagination... Cheers!

Cocobolo_CamelBack_II-1s.jpg

Cocobolo_CamelBack_II-2s.jpg

Boggs

Very nice! Got some specs for us? So the hardware is all Hipshot, but what are those pickups?

Questions from the moderator... Cool! :D

The top is cocobolo and the chambered midsection is Cuban mahogany and the back is crotch Cuban mahogany. I'll post back pics later. It's 25.5" scale length. The neck is mahogany with ebony fingerboard. Frets are stainless vintage. It is strung through the body. The pickups are custom Vintage Vibe blades with interchangable magnets. They come with two different alnico sets and one ceramic set. It will be available for demo at Hipshot's booth at NAMM in January if you want to pick it up and play it... It will have all Hipshot hardware... tuning machines, bridge, knobs, through-body string bezel bar (in the back)... Anything else? Thanks for expressing interest! Boggs

Done anything with the Baby Grand yet? I'd love to use one of those on something...

I used it on my Bloodwood CamelBack...

Bloodwood_CamelBack3ws.JPG

I think this is a much better guitar shape and design, more attractive and bette balanced...I have to ask since none of the pictures show it....headstock?...something that matches the guitar I hope :D

I know it would be tricky with the chambering and all, but it still looks very 2 dimensional...folding over the arm rest and incorporating a belly contour would have given it a much more sexy line...I know, very stratty, but it is does help a lot aesthetically and functionally.

It does look a lot better balanced and that's not ecause I am a traditionalist, I like some sexy curves, I like to see more functionality in the design along with the "innovation" of hollowing the thing out. Some redesign of the neck joint also so it doesn't look so boxy would be cool (especially since you are not using a neck plate)...the concept is really crying out for neck through construction IMHO...but very well done and a nice choice of woods...hope you get a lot of kudos for it at namm, congratulations (I hope hipshot are paying for the booth!)

BTW...I quite like the jack plate mounting...I'd be tempted to incorporate something like that in something I'm planning, at least it gives some function to the tail detail and makes it a cool appointment...I'd be tucking it in a little more than the rear fin effect perhaps and so it wont fall over, but the intention is great and makes it a little more distinctive.

Certainly this is a much better and more marketable design than the camel back thing...much as I appreciate holdsworth, his guitar's like his playing are very idiosyncratic and marketable mostly on his reputation in small numbers.

But a more successful design and finish for sure...hope you enter it this month in GOTM...might have a winner there :D

pete

Looks nice, man ! I just botched my ferrules, ! could never get them perfectly in line and evenly spaced :D . Where did you get the ferrule plate for your guitar Boggs?

That is available from www.hipshotproducts.com . Let Jason know that you saw it here on a RockBeach first! :D

I think this is a much better guitar shape and design, more attractive and bette balanced...I have to ask since none of the pictures show it....headstock?...something that matches the guitar I hope :D

I know it would be tricky with the chambering and all, but it still looks very 2 dimensional...folding over the arm rest and incorporating a belly contour would have given it a much more sexy line...I know, very stratty, but it is does help a lot aesthetically and functionally.

It does look a lot better balanced and that's not ecause I am a traditionalist, I like some sexy curves, I like to see more functionality in the design along with the "innovation" of hollowing the thing out. Some redesign of the neck joint also so it doesn't look so boxy would be cool (especially since you are not using a neck plate)...the concept is really crying out for neck through construction IMHO...but very well done and a nice choice of woods...hope you get a lot of kudos for it at namm, congratulations (I hope hipshot are paying for the booth!)

BTW...I quite like the jack plate mounting...I'd be tempted to incorporate something like that in something I'm planning, at least it gives some function to the tail detail and makes it a cool appointment...I'd be tucking it in a little more than the rear fin effect perhaps and so it wont fall over, but the intention is great and makes it a little more distinctive.

Certainly this is a much better and more marketable design than the camel back thing...much as I appreciate holdsworth, his guitar's like his playing are very idiosyncratic and marketable mostly on his reputation in small numbers.

But a more successful design and finish for sure...hope you enter it this month in GOTM...might have a winner there :D

pete

This does have a Strat headstock to keep the more traditional theme and it does look nice on it. With the bolt, I can always change it to another configuration which is not true of a neck-through... B) I shaped the neck heel that way for better access to the upper frets. Belly cuts would be next to impossible on these as the walls are really too thin to accommodate it. With the offset waistline, they're really comfortable to play as they are. It gives the lightweight a more substantial feel, too. I really do appreciate your thorough appraisal... Those kinds of comments are invaluable! I know it takes time, and I do appreciate it! I do intend to enter it, but I never expect "a winner" as they lack "bling" that others do present.

They are basically using this guitar to demo their hardware at their booth as last year, they didn't have a guitar on display... only their stuff. I approached them to build something for them to "show off" and they thought that was a cool idea. I only wish I could be there with the guitar...

That is available from www.hipshotproducts.com . Let Jason know that you saw it here on a RockBeach first!

Thanks for the link, I looked around quite a bit but I found no mention of that piece of hardware. Shouldn't it be in w/ the ferrules? or does it come with the bridge? Anyway, I might consider getting some made at work out of stainless. :D

That is available from www.hipshotproducts.com . Let Jason know that you saw it here on a RockBeach first!

Thanks for the link, I looked around quite a bit but I found no mention of that piece of hardware. Shouldn't it be in w/ the ferrules? or does it come with the bridge? Anyway, I might consider getting some made at work out of stainless. :D

They don't apparently have it on the product listings apparently. Contact them via the "contact us" link and talk to Jason. Tell him Boggs referred you.

They don't apparently have it on the product listings apparently. Contact them via the "contact us" link and talk to Jason. Tell him Boggs referred you.

do you know if they make them for 7 and 8 strings?

do you know if they make them for 7 and 8 strings?

Not sure. You can ask them though...

• 3 weeks later...