Fender Am Standrad Strat Truss Rods Nut Stripped

Hi

i am newbie. my fender american standard stratocaster Truss Rods Nut is stripped. i can't use Hex key to adjust neck anymore. some people suggest me to buy a new neck. but this guitar is very important to me. i buy it from japan with my girlfriend. now, i seperate with her. i really hope to keep this guitar.

and i email fender, they have american standard truss rods for sell. but i think it is not a easy job. because i need to remove fender walnut plug . and i think i need to remove the fret board too. but i think i can remove first fret board position only. my gutiar is maple neck not rosewood.

can any people teach me how to do? how can i remove the walnut plug and can i remove first position fret board only?

thank

hey hey wait a second! a stripped nut doesn't require a whole truss rod change!!! can't you find one online and order it? i'm sure there are spare ones for sale! and i'm guessing to take it out you can try CA'ing the wrench to the nut and then giving it sometime to dry properly and then take it out...... i HIGHLY doubt you'll need a truss rod change!!!!

i'm sure other ppl here are more experienced than me.... but if it's simply the nut then it should be an easy task!

cheers

sami

hi

i really need help

i don't think i need to change whole truss rods. because the truss rods nut can be changed. fender have this parts for sell. but it is not easy to change. i know i need to remove walnut plug. but i want to know how to remove it?

i need to use 1/8 hex key. but i sure the truss rods nut is stripped. so i think i need to remove fretboard to help me take truss rod out. i have idea, can i just remove first fret fingerboard?

do anybody have this experience ?

Ok, 1/8" wrench makes it likely that it's a bi-flex.

If you really like this guitar, and since you obviously don't have experience with this repair, you really should send it to someone to do it right.

First guy that comes to mind is John Suhr. I know he has done this repair before, and he recently threw a hint that he wanted to take on more repairs. look him up.

hi

sorry. i am not live in USA. and i ask some repair guy here. they don't want to do that. they suggest me to buy a new neck.

anyways, i fix it already. i remove the walnut plug and i take the truss rods nut out. but the truss rods nut is work great now. i really don't understand what happen. anyways, no guitar is no problem. but i destroy the walnut plug, do anyone know where can i buy the walnut plug????????????

in fact, it is no problem even i don't install the walnut plug. but i think the guitar is look better if i can buy walnut plug and install it

thank

Sounds good that you managed to fix it yourself. I don't know where to buy a walnut plug but you could get a piece of walnut and shape it to fit the neck and glue it in. How is the plug destroyed? If it is just snapped apart you could probably reatach the pieces and glue them together and put it back in

How about black plastic tubing for that authentic MIM look ?

Speaking of that, has anyone ever removed the black plastic sleeve in the truss-rod adjustment hole in a MIM neck ?

I'm only wondering, 'cause I have a MIM neck where they didn't sand the curve behind the headstock far enough, so I have some strings laying on a fairly wide plot of fret-board real estate on the headstock side of the nut. You know how that little bit of fret-board is suppose to be no more than 1/8" wide ? Well it's a heck of a lot wider than that on this sucker and there hasn't even been any fret-board sanding done since it was at the factory, and I know when I refret it, that area behind the nut is going to get even wider, because the neck has a little bit of a twist.

So, if I ever re-sand the headstock contour, I thought maybe first I'd take that plastic sleeve out and put a wood one in there, just 'cause I like the look of the wood one's better and I deserve some kind of reward for having to do such an annoying repair.

hi

in fact, black plastic tubing is fine to me. where can i buy it ?

the walunt plug is total destroy. it can't use anymore.

do you think warmoth have it for sell?

please let me know where i can buy it. i don't think i can make a walunt plug by myself. i haven't making wood tools

I was only joking about the black plastic. That would be a shame to "downgrade" your guitar like that.

Seems to me, if Fender sells the truss rod nut, they'd be the best bet for the walnut plug. If you contact them, be sure to tell them that you have already removed and destroyed your hollow walnut plug.

It's such a small piece of walnut. Maybe you can find someone local who does woodworking, and they'd have little scraps of wood and might even make the plug for you.

I know at least one authorized Fender repair center I've seen had extra plugs on hand. Whether he got those from Fender or just made a bunch one time when he needed them for a repair, I don't know.

I'd just take a small block or walnut and a plug cutter and make my own, if it was cut so the face grain rather than the end grain showed, but you really need a drill press to get good results with a plug cutter.

Would a hardwood dowel work? I'm not familiar with these guitars enough to know which way the grain direction is going. I know many lumber merchants and internet wood dealers sell fancy dowels made out of a variety of woods.

Well, main problem with someone making a plug without having the guitar, is that they would have to rely on you for exact measurements, such as the diameter of the hole the plug is going into. I don't even know if it's metric or what. Too tight of a plug and you won't get it in there. Too loose, it will likely look like crap.

I would bug Fender about it. A plug made by Fender has the best chance of working without them examining the neck.

I mean, it's working without the plug. Probably should leave it that way unless the plug fix can really be done right. Why bother with something half-way there ?