Improvements.

Hello all,

Not been on here in a while but hello again. just bought another guitar.. which most of you would says is rubbish and a waste of money but i couldnt be happier with it to be fair.

this is it...

TANGLEWOODLESPAUL%20001.jpg

im just wondering. as its a replica it isnt exactly going to be like the real thing...

what kind of things should i be doing to improve it? im new to guitars and dont want to embark on building one just yet!

many thanks

Jono. :D

Is that an Agile I see?

You'll want to start with any buggy hardware, like if the tuners don't stay in tune, if the nut binds or open notes sound dead, if something in the bridge buzzes, if any frets buzz, etc.

Once it's up to your standards of playability, move on to the electronics. If you're new to guitars, you probably won't know what kind of pickups you like, but if anything crackles or the controls don't work correctly you'll want to replace the components and rewire it. Cheap import electronics are good for learning to solder.

After that, it's really up to you. You can try some new pickups, accessories, amps, pedals, whatever.

If you're new to guitars, you probably won't know what kind of pickups you like....

And shouldn't dive into that until there's a good amp around.

I was going to suggest that you have vinyl siding put on, but that might have only gone over well if I had been the first to respond.

Hard to tell from a photo, what it could really need.

Well, you're happy with it, right? So why change anything?

I suppose all of us have our stock mods--things we do to a guitar as soon as we get it.

Personally, the first thing I do is change tuners, because I like locking tuners, they're just easier to string up and are more stable. I eventually switch the nut, string tree, saddles, if they're a problem. If you like the way the pickups sound, keep them. The electronics on this type of guitar are often pretty cheap -- no point in replacing them until or if they crap out though.

Otherwise, just give the guitar a good setup. You'll probably have to adjust the action at the nut.

But if you're not familiar with setting up a guitar and aren't interested in learning, then take it to a tech -- a good setup can really change the way a guitar feels.

Basically it's setting the action(distance from string to fret) as low as possible without buzz, getting the relief(bow in the neck) correct, and making sure the intonation is correct(making minor adjustments to the length of each string at the bridge so that the note at each fret is correct).

They all affect each other, so if you change one, you have to change them all(not to mention retune the strings), and the trick is to get them all in balance and as playable as possible.

There's also pickup height, but it's in its own category really. Closer to the strings = more output, less sustain(because the magnets pull on the strings). Farther = less output, more sustain.

There's a basic tutorial on the main page: http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm

There are also some tutorials here in the forum, a good one is this: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=39115

It only covers action and relief though.