What Next Of Burnishing Cream On Nitro?

ByronBlack

Hi chaps,

I recently finished spraying a nitro finish on my maple guitar, it came out a treat, except that during the wet-sanding (upto 1500 grit) I have sanded through a few area's. Basically, I realise that I've not sprayed enough nitro on and it was thinner than I realised.

I also went from the 1500 grit to a burnishing cream, which has brought up a bit of shine, but otherwise it seems a little mucky, and you can still see some scratches from the 1500 grit.

What's my next best approach?

I need to fill/repair the sand-throughs (it's a solid black coat + clear), but can that be done now that I've added the burnishing cream? Is there a way to remove it from the damaged area's ahead of repairing so that I can add the black and then the clear?

And secondly, whats the best way forward now to get rid of all the fine scratches and bring up to a shine? Should I go back with a coarser polishing compound and then up to a finer compound? (If so, which ones in the UK come recommended?)

I don't have a powered means of polishing, other than a random-orbital sander with a foam pad (which now has the burnishing cream on it so I don't think I can use it for something else unless there is a way of cleaning it off?).

Any help to rescue this finish would be gratefully received.

I would reclear the entire guitar to fill in the low spots...nitro will just melt in and "fuse" so it should be fine...then you should imo consider micromesh for the sanding and polishing.follow the grits all the way to 15000 and you will see there is no need for buffing...and it is surprisingly quick.

Thanks wes,

I did think about re-clearing, but I have a blackheart stack for xmas that I was hoping to use this one for testing it out (hmm, it's not far off, i can re-clear in the new year.)

Ok, so re-clearing is the way forward, I still have 2 cans left so it should be enough to build a thicker coat. The only problem I have though is that there is thin fine gummy film of burnishing cream on the guitar - It's really not the right product, and I should have tested it out on something before using it on this guitar. What is the best way of getting rid of this to get it ready for re-clearing? Will something like white-spirit or meths do the job?

With regards to the micro-mesh, at which grit stage should I move over to them? I previously sanded from 600 upto 1500 with regular wet 'n' dry, is it possible to cut in with the micromesh earlier than 1500? It would sure reduce the amount of time, it took me about 3 hours going the grits!

TIA