Top Reinforcement

Hi all.

I'm seriously considering purchasing a Gibson LG-1, because I love the way it sounds. However, it has light strings on it, which I can't use. I guess that putting 13's on it will pull the bridge off/top up pretty soon. Is there anyway to reinforce the guitar so that it could stomach heavier gauge strings, or is that not possible? Thanks,

Dan.

I guess that putting 13's on it will pull the bridge off/top up pretty soon.

I guess not.

Acoustic guitars are designed for use with heavy strings. Although changing to a heavier set might change the way the guitar sounds and responds to the way you play.

You may want to step up to Mediums first..... just to verify there isn't anything weird in the guitar.

Heavy strings at full tension will help you find loose braces and weak glue joints quickly.

There may be some things that will change -- like Intonation..... because of the heavier strings.

Generally, most Factory guitars are *way* overbuilt for Warranty concerns.....

(Think about the repercussions of a "Forever" warranty on a product sold in a big "Box Store."

Someone cooks it in their car... *Boing* .... and back to the Factory it goes...)

It might actually sound better with the increased tension balancing out the extra stiffness.

I know that most Martins sound boxy with Light strings. Hang Mediums on them and they come alive.

Good luck

John