Aerosol

angussg

I am going to do a cheap spray paint finish and was wondering if gloss paint was better than flat or non gloss.

The paint part isn't quite as important as the clear coat. I've used flat black with clear gloss and had really nice glossy finishes. Things about gloss paint to keep in mind - slower to dry, gummier to sand (if you are impatient), thinner than flat. Things about flat to keep in mind, dries faster, easier to sand, easier to get dirty as it's chalky finish seems to attract fingerprints and dust like a magnet.

kp,

I was thinking about using good ol' Testors rattlecan metallic green for my bass rebuild. As long as I am using a good clear coat, I should be ok? BTW, I have a can of poly that I have used for other wood projects, It dries pretty hard.

EDIT: I forgot to ask...do you use a primer prior to painting?

Edited by Chuck_Chill-Out

I believe that testors is enamel, so be careful with what goes on top. Poly might be ok, just make sure you test it somewhere else first and let the testors dry for at least 24 hours. When I use painter's touch, I usually use the white primer they make as well. It sands nicely! The problem of course with mixing brands/finishes is it's really easy to get "alligator skin" by mixing uncured finish types. In your case, shellac could work well as a primer.

If I remember correctly, nothing goes well on top of enamel (which Testors is) other than enamel clear coats. Other products might sit fine for a while but over time (and usually not very long) you'll run into problems with it peeling off. I would either find the same color in and acrlyic lacquer or find a clear enamel.