My First Acoustic

I have a couple electrics I have to finish up and I have to make some jigs and stuff for this so I should be making some progress in a week or two. It's going to be pretty much a standard dreadnought, it will have walnut back and sides, sitka spruce soundboard, one piece mahogany neck, walnut headstock veneer and pickguard, ebony bridge, and a striped ebony fingerboard. I'm going to use pre-shaped braces for this one if there's a next I'll do my own and I would probably have to since I'm hoping to do a 12 string if I decide to build another acoustic.

back:

IMG_2785.jpg

sides (all or most of the sap wood should be cut away):

IMG_2784.jpg

soundboard:

IMG_2787.jpg

neck blank (big enough for 2 necks):

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2789.jpg

Very nice, are you gonna do this on a steam pipe or a fox bender?

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet, I have tried steaming in a steam box and it seems to work pretty good I'm going to test that a couple more times with some scrap wood. If not that I'm going to make a fox style bender with light bulbs instead of the blanket

• 5 weeks later...
Oh man, I LOVE your gluing method there with the cement block HAHAHAHA

It works great lol.

I got a lot done today, the back needs a little sanding and it's done. Tomorrow I'll work on the soundhole braces and the sides.

Soundboard and rosette:

IMG_2890.jpg

IMG_2889.jpg

back cut out:

IMG_2892.jpg

Gluing on braces:

IMG_2893.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

Soundboard cut out, soundhole cut out, rosette sanded:

IMG_2894.jpg

rosette:

IMG_2895.jpg

Back done besides sanding:

IMG_2898.jpg

The whole bodies messed up the sides aren't straight and the mold put a big dent in it so it's unsavable at the most I could get the braces from it. At least I've learned a lot from it. Soon I'll have a cherry triple 0 with a slotted headstock and 12 frets to the body. I'll save the neck for a dreadnaught whenever I do one again.

That sucks man. So much effort down the toilet. Atleast you have a good outlook on it. Good luck when you decide to build another acoustic.

-Marshall

Yeah, I'm going to make it into a table lol. I'm already buying the parts for the next one so it should start soon. I could just start this over but I'm gassing for a triple 0, classical, and a 12 string kind of what is making me keep going at it.

Bummer! What do you think happened? Did you take pictures? I'd be curious, from a learner's perspective.

I didn't take pics, I will when I bring it home from school since I turned it into a woodworking project there. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't touching all the sides of the mold closely enough and I wasn't careful enough about that because where it wasn't touching the mold on one side I think it was on the other causing the whole thing to be twisted I think it wouldn't have been too bad except when I glued the back on I'm pretty sure it got worse. In my current build I'm planning to use sticks to hold the sides against the mold until the top and back are glued on and I'll take them out after. I may have to use a small saw to cut them to get them out but it should fix the problem.