A Firebird I Built

DougK

So its been QUITE a while since I've checked in here... finished a few run of the mill guitars (strats and tele's mostly) since I've been here last. I've got a few of my own designs in the works but in the mean time I decided I really wanted to build a firebird. It was fun for me because if the first one I've done things like shape the neck, fret job, inlays ect. Nothing major around here but gotta start somewhere right.

Anyways this is how it turned out.

105240566.jpg

104687486.jpg

(thats the old rear cover, the new one is a nicer laid up piece of carbon fiber)

It was almost kind of a shame to paint this one... african mahogany sure can be pretty

Specs:

African Mahogany

Scarf jointed headstock, 1.66" width at the nut

Bolivian Rosewood (pau ferro apparently) fretboard

StewMac Wide/Medium wire

MOP inlays

Kent Armstrong Pups wired with 3 volumes, middle pup volume isn't effected by the switch

blah blah blah

Anyways, thats that. A lot of fun and my new #1 around the house.

Edited by DougK

Beautiful...one of the best firebirds I have seen. I am so glad to see you keep the essential elements of the body step and headstock which I think are really important to the design and although the wood looks cool...the color is so much better and I would have chosen white also. Great choice to stick with the mini HBs and practical approach to the wiring to have the middle pickup on it's own control...far more in keeping with the automotive influence of the design and it's intention to have a run at the fender stable. A great looker...I see it being played by someone in a dinner jacket for some reason, very classy!

Great firebird you've made !!!

And, just for the record, I don't "usually" like FBs.

As soon as I saw the "logo" on the headstock I knew it was you !!

But I also wanted to add that's a beautiful Bassman !! I'd love to dress up my main amp with a cabinet like that, but I'll have to figure out a way to do the finger-joining in a home-made fashion...

oooohhh...I just noticed the black scratch plate...I don't recall ever seeing that on a firebird (they are usually white with the bird)...nice...and I also like the reddish fretboard which give the look a lift, an ebony board would have been a little too much black...good choices all round (though not sure about the step on the back)

Great firebird you've made !!!

And, just for the record, I don't "usually" like FBs.

As soon as I saw the "logo" on the headstock I knew it was you !!

But I also wanted to add that's a beautiful Bassman !! I'd love to dress up my main amp with a cabinet like that, but I'll have to figure out a way to do the finger-joining in a home-made fashion...

Thank you Blackdog! You've sure been turning out some nice git's yourself! I pop in from time to time and always enjoy checking yours out.

I gotta say- I was never big into firebirds till I built this one! I absolutely love the damn things now. Course being a rabbid Johnny Winter fan doesn't help either lol.

Now I have a 3 p90 one, 3 full sized buckers one and a single bridge p90 one in the works. LOL.

I really want to build a black limba one....

I would say you should be crucified for painting over that mahog, but the white and carbon fiver make up for it. Awesome work!

I know what you mean!! I was torn about it... but I just keep painting guitars solid colors for some reason.

Thanks for the kind words everyone :D