Fretboard Question

Well, part way through my 1st real build, im having troubles deciding if my neck is turning out right. Is it possible for the neck and body to be completely parralell before installing the fret board and still have the right string action in the end? Looking at the bolt ons i have there is bout 1/8th between the body and the fretboard. my ovation, the fretboard sits right on top of the body though. any pros or cons? or does it just depend on the bridge(string height) my calculations seem to be correct with no neck angle so... any coments are greatly appreciated!

It all depends on the bridge and construction. A shorter bridge can get away with the fretboard right on the body. A taller one needs either a neck angle or a raised neck. Sometimes looks a decieving though. A slight angle can be planed into the body and won't be noticable if the body is carved. This will allow a neck angle and still have the board flat on the body, like a Les Paul for example.

thanks, thats kinda what i thought. Heres a better question to ask.. Is there any good way to figure how high the strings should be from the fret board? I measured on a couple of my electrics and came up with 2mm at the nut and about 5mm at the 15th fret. as long as I use about the same size fret wire and am shooting for the same feel (setup/action) theres so many variables!! i guess thats about what it comes down to. I just want a nice playing guitar when im done.

I just make sure to have the neck angle right or no neck angle if not needed and then adjust the nut and the bridge as low as I can go without buzzing on electrics I don't mind a little bit of buzzing if it can't be heard through the amp but I like really low action. You can measure the height of strings on guitars that you like the setup of.