Soundproofing A Shop

Marcovis

I about to move my shop from it's current location to the basement of our new house. We have a baby coming this summer and I want to make my shop as quiet to upstairs family members as possible. Here's what I'm thinking of using.Green Glue Soundproofing My brother who is in the recording business pointed me to this product and says it's what is used for high end recording studios. The idea is to use this glue between two layers of drywall and mount that to resilient channeling that is attached to the walls/floor/ceiling. It's supposed to kill sound waves, thus not letting sound get through. I'm not expecting this to make it 100% noise free upstairs, but it has to be better than not doing anything at all. Has anyone used this product or have any other ideas/advice on soundproofing a shop?

Save your money. Don't run the machines when the baby's asleep. Besides you will be busy keeping your eyes open for the first few months since you will get no sleep, LOL

On a more technical note probably just a drywall ceiling and rock wool insulation will make a major difference.

Good luck and Congrads

Soundproofing for the wife makes sense, but not the baby. New babies like it loud, it's very loud in the womb. Stomach going on, heartbeat. My daughter would sleep through the TV, or the vaccume or anything. When we wanted her to sleep we turned her clock radio to the white noise between channels and turned it up. There is a point almost loud where it's like a switch, she went right to sleep.

I would recommend that you don't make it quite in the house for the baby, because sudden noises will wake her/him. Play the radio for the baby. See the video "The Happiest Baby on the Block", it's amazing and works. You can pick it up at the library. Best investment of 1/2 hour you could make with a new baby.

That being said, the first few months are mentally exhausting, and you will be tired. Be real careful about tools. There were many times when I couldn't think straight. It's like being drunk, you think, oh I'm fine, just a little tired, then you lose a finger for the "Quick little cut".

For soundproofing I used to use 1 inch thick blue board. I used to live in a neighborhood in college and used to throw parties for 60-70 of my dearest friends. This old house had single pane windows. I cut blue board and pushed it into the window cavities, it reduced the outside noise dramatically. Instead of 50 ft, I had to get to 10 ft.

Also, my neighbor had a theatre room put in, and they put noise blankets on his heat ducts. The stuff the put in your car to keep engine noise down. The installer said that the speakers would rattle the heat ducts and make rattle sounds upstairs.

For what it's worth.

-John

This really is more for my wife than anything else, but also as our child gets older it will be nice to have a quieter shop so I can work when I need to. Building is a side job for me, so if late hours are my free time, that's when I have to work. I think using insulation and doing the green glue between two sheets of drywall should give me a pretty quiet shop.

My biggest noise maker is that darn dust collector. 3 hp 220 volt. It does a great job, but is loud. I build a little closet for it and cut the noise to a low hum. Maybe you can isolate some of the loud tools to a certain section of the shop, not underneath the living room or bedrooms which you can wall off separate and really soundproof just that area. It would give you a place to play guitar too!

-john

I helped design and build a sound "restricting" room for a homemade CNC router that was in a friends basement. Same situation, new business, new baby.

Basically, we built a 10' x 12' room with standard 2x4 studs and 1/2" drywall on the walls and ceiling. Then we covered all the interior walls and ceiling with 1/4" thick foam sheeting (the stuff used for packaging). We used only enough spray adhesive to hold the foam in place until we installed a second layer of 1/2" drywall. The idea was to have the foam act as an accoustic break, stopping the sound waves from transmitting through to the studs and exterior drywall. The cost over the base construction was about $30 for the foam (bought at a UPS store) and the cost of a 2nd layer of drywall.

With a rented decibel meter, he measured about 110dB inside with the CNC running, and outside it was under 30dB at 10' from the room. Upstairs directly above the basement room, (through a padded & carpeted floor) it measured less than 10dB.

I've also seen where people have stapled 1/2" foam backer rod to the wall studs before installing the drywall. The trick though is to use 1/4 spacers to prevent the drywall from compressing the foam rod and touching the studs.

Edited by toneblind