Good Magnet Wire Suppliers

Claptonfreak

5 pounds:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?...&id=2113765

Now a question: Why formvar wire? Are you experienced/skilled enough to produce a consistent enough pickup to be able to notice the difference? Pls take that question the right way. I'm not picking a fight here. I just want you to know that it takes a huge amount of pickups "under the belt", spending hours and hours on the factors that make a huge difference before one should focus on one of the smallest and least important tone shaping factors like wire insulation type. If you have those experiences I think that you shouldn't need to ask were to get formvar wire from...

My main point:

Focus on magnet strength, magnet material, coil shape and turn count before you start to worry about wire type.

5 pounds:

http://www.mojomusicalsupply.com/item.asp?...&id=2113765

Now a question: Why formvar wire? Are you experienced/skilled enough to produce a consistent enough pickup to be able to notice the difference? Pls take that question the right way. I'm not picking a fight here. I just want you to know that it takes a huge amount of pickups "under the belt", spending hours and hours on the factors that make a huge difference before one should focus on one of the smallest and least important tone shaping factors like wire insulation type. If you have those experiences I think that you shouldn't need to ask were to get formvar wire from...

My main point:

Focus on magnet strength, magnet material, coil shape and turn count before you start to worry about wire type.

Actually I haven't had that much experience winding pickups. I was under the impression that formvar would make a bigger difference in tone than you say. If it really doesn't affect the tone that much I will probably go with plain enamel, and if I still wound to vintage 56/57 specs that would give me a hybrid between a 56/57 and Clapton's Blackie which had circa 72 pickups with plain enamel.

I assume that the small spool that can be obtained from Stew-Mac is as good a place as any to get it?

P.S. - your question was valid and appreciated. I don't mind something like that from someone who knows more than me, you had a valid point. I was going for 56 authenticity but if it really doesn't make much of a difference then I will probably be better off with plain enamel. thanks

Nice to hear that you took it the right way. When you try to express yourself in a language that isn’t your native tough it sometimes come out to harsh…

OK, the wire will make a difference. The main difference will be the size of the coil, all other things like turn count being equal. But on the first couple of pickups there are so many other, more important factors to pay attention on. And the Schatten wire that SM sells is easy to use (doesn’t need to strip the insulation, just solder away) and comes in reasonable sized coils. A half pound spool from SM will be enough for a set of Strat SCs. Generally a kit like the one SM supply is a really good starting point.

If you want it to look more authentic you can always use a diluted black/purple tinted water based lacquer to dip the pickup in, instead of wax potting it. That way the coil will have a darker more genuine color. But then again, you will probably put covers on them so it doesn’t matter…

Good luck