2k Clearcoat ?

Kammo1

Hi guys just would like some opinions and others on this board may benefit as well as to what you guys are using for clearcoating in the 2K range ie acrylic urethanes,poly etc ? I have been using a lacquer and have to admit the shrinkage and drying of this is way too troublesome and I have decided to use the 2K stuff from now on. I understand I have been reading alot about pinhole problems in these and have to say it is worrying me as I don't want more problems but less :D so fire away guys what clears have you been using and what are the ones to avoid and ones to go for make,brand and type etc, hope some of you may help CHEERS!

I've used Kustom Shops clear with no problems, just doesn't flow as well as some others.

Dyntatone from Alsa, it sucks.

House of Kolor Uc35, flows well polishes well, great clear. No surprise.

As far as pinhole issues. That is solvent pop easily prevented with single light flowing coats, usually its cause by too heavy a coat.

I've used PPG ShopLine and it is decent stuff. Economy priced, doesn't flow out great, but not bad either. Polishes easy and gets a nice deep finish. Like Syxx said, pinholes are caused by spraying your coats too heavy. Definitely practice with the 2k stuff before you spray a guitar because it sprays much heavier and builds a ton faster than lacquers. You will not need more than 4 or 5 clear coats, and that is even heavy. Once you figure out how to get the stuff to spray level and need only minimal sanding you'll be down to three coats of clear, unless you are burying flakes.

Hi guys just would like some opinions and others on this board may benefit as well as to what you guys are using for clearcoating in the 2K range ie acrylic urethanes,poly etc ? I have been using a lacquer and have to admit the shrinkage and drying of this is way too troublesome and I have decided to use the 2K stuff from now on. I understand I have been reading alot about pinhole problems in these and have to say it is worrying me as I don't want more problems but less :D so fire away guys what clears have you been using and what are the ones to avoid and ones to go for make,brand and type etc, hope some of you may help CHEERS!

Regarding 2k clearcoats, I've been using Octoral C60 with a rapid hardner for some time now and that gives a really great finish. Unfortunately, Octoral have stopped making it now :D so whilst I've still got a decent stock of the stuff, I've also been trying other brands readily available in the UK for when it runs out. Although I've not used much of it as yet, I have had very good results with a brand called 'Crystal', made by UPD (UK). It goes on nicely and gives a very nice, clear and seemingly very durable finish. My mate who owns the local paint/bodyshop put me onto it and recons it's the best he's ever used, so might be worth a look.

Regarding the pinholes, as syxx say's it's invariably due to too heavy an application and the solvents not being able to escape quickly enough, though it can also be caused through silicon based contaminants. As ihocky says, practice on some gash wood first and you shouldn't have too many problems.

Hope this helps.

Jim B)