bridge questions

jimmyb

hi,

im building an explorer now and i am a big noob!

i have a few questions:

lol, yer anyway my explorer shall have a tuno-matic and stop tailpiece. i have seen guitars with angled tunomatics and non-angled ones. the plans i have got(cad drawing from guitarbuild.com) show the tunomatic on an angle? can anyone please help me with this?

also wen routing for a tunomatic and tailpeice do i only have to drill the four holes for them to screw into the body or what?

help is greatly appreciated!

hey jimmy

keep it angled, apparently it is suppose to be for better for the intonation. i am not sure about this, but i have only seen angled tune-o-matic bridges angled on the guitars anyway, so it is a-ok.

and yes, you will only have to drill for 4 holes. 2 for the tune-o-matic posts, and 2 for the stop tail piece. it is prevalent that you get the correct diameter of the drill piece and the dimensions of what brand of tune-o-matic/stop tail piece you end up using on the beast. i suggest getting the Gotoh brand, you can choose between imperial or metric post diameters. for better a idea of what i am talking about, please visit: http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/Bridges2.htm > just click on the icon which displays the dimensions of the bridge pieces - this is just an example to evoke methods and ideas.

Good Luck dude! :D

hey dude, where are you located? i am in australia. and you mentioned night, as there is night in australia as i post. if you are near by, i could help you out even more in terms of guitar hardware and neccesities. :D

sure dude!

Jimmyb,

Have to excuse any spelling mistakes as I've just come back from the pub.

You can buy the Gotoh bridge/stop piece/tuners/knobs and plates all in a set (well you can in England anyway). I've just got these for my project and they seem fantastic value for money. I've had a play with them and they seem like very good quality.

The bottom of each piece (bridge and stop) seems to have a curve on the bottom (well mine do), so I'm not sure if the body needs to be contored. Just thought you should know.

As I say though (a bit of rectum protectum here) I'm not sure, so ask one of the experts.

You can buy the Gotoh bridge/stop piece/tuners/knobs and plates all in a set (well you can in England anyway). I've just got these for my project and they seem fantastic value for money. I've had a play with them and they seem like very good quality.

The bottom of each piece (bridge and stop) seems to have a curve on the bottom (well mine do), so I'm not sure if the body needs to be contored. Just thought you should know.

Hotrock, where did ya get the set from? Price etc Cheers!

Craft Supplies - Millers Dale Nr Buxton (Deepest Darkest Derbyshire). It's where I got my wood from too. Don't think they've got it on the website but phone them up and ask for the tonewood catalouge, it's in there.

Very nice people and quite good stuff. Truss rods, etc etc.

http://www.craft-supplies.co.uk/

Does anyone else have info on the angle of the bridge because I need this info too.