DOD pedal

MikeB

hs, your on the ball, post within 1 min of me writing the topic!! do you ever sleep, or is it the terminator thing....... synthetic tissue over metal endo skeleton!!!

mike

ps thanks for the reply! by the term didital sound do you mean harsh?

ta

mike

im a solid state man, born and bred B) this will cause ructions, lmao!!! i like solid state, and proud of it!

I'm in the middle, tube pre-amp and SS power amp. Yes, modern SS pre-amps can sound pretty good... but man, after playing tube after YEARS of SS amps with MANY different fuzz boxen... there is NO substitute :D.

i think its like you get accustomed and attached to a certain sound, and begin to love it. i started on solid state when i first played, and now have a cool one my dad made. they are good and reliable! valves are notorious for busting when u need them.

mike

i think its like you get accustomed and attached to a certain sound, and begin to love it. i started on solid state when i first played, and now have a cool one my dad made. they are good and reliable! valves are notorious for busting when u need them.

mike

Yeah, I agree to a certain extent, hence my choice of tube pre-amp and SS power amp. I still use my 14 year old ADA MP-1 tube pre-amp. I've had absolutely no reliability issues with it in all that time.

Could it be that the something "lacking" is that it's not tube? 

lol, i dont know, i usually get better sound when i out new strings on, but there is a certain thing that i think the digital processor doesnt get spot on, again with the tube comment, lol, but i will experiment.

ps at a concert my friend did, first act on, i was on like 6th, but his tube amp bust as he switched it on behind the curtain, my the panicking!! it was all tube tho.

it sure was, lol :D funny thing being it was an amp on loan from the music store while they fixed his amp that he'd left in, if i remember correctly. it was a wee marshall 15 or 30 watt white thing.

just kind of fuzzy crunch a thon
:D

i think that good sounds can be obtained well without valves, but overdrive was designed for valves if im not mistaken, so i think my quest for tone will continue!....

mike

yes, the less said about such things, the better, lol! i think i will have to check the boss stuff! the electro harmonix get constant good reviews, do they do the big muff? and if so whats it like?

mike

yes, the less said about such things, the better, lol! i think i will have to check the boss stuff! the electro harmonix get constant good reviews, do they do the big muff? and if so whats it like?

mike

I have an old big muff... hmm... that sounded funny :D. No, it's just sitting around gathering dust. MikeB, from you various posts, it sounds like you have a background in electronics. Why don't you build some of these stomp boxen yourself? There are schematics available on the web.

big muff is like a fuzzy esque thing. but hot tubes. UNBELIEVEABLE. absolutly amazing o/d. there may be better ones out there from some small company but this is a great mainstream. it has a warm warm warm sitting by the couch sound so that the sound is "real" like you can stroke it and have wild sex with it. and it plays like no other overdrive in my opinion. Big Muff i'm not such a fan of. It may be analog but there are much better fuzz's out there. save yer money and get the hot tubes, you wont be disapointed, it OWNS teh blues, fusion WOW, instrumental vai style? i wouldnt know i'm not good enough lol. Metal, Hell yes, with complete articulation, none of that crap where you fuzz over everything and you cant hear the notes. Rock is its best point. I just can't believe what a good rock tone it has. Through an all tube fender amp, or marshall stack its a total love box. you should get it for a pedal. you will have no regrets. i wish i had one. i only play it at my freinds house.

i have 3 books on these type things, and have done other various things, why the hell am i not building them, good point!! i had found a site with links to schmatics for these pedals the DOD's and the electro harmonix etc... but its the usual web page unavailable, lol!

i get all my electronic knowledge from dad, he knows too much! he fixes the stuff i make that doesnt work, lol! its usually the simplest of things, but still hes great to have around. i have previously priced makin stomp boxes, i think about 15-20£ or$(since america seems to be much cheaper for parts than britain!) to make one. cool, another project!

thanks for the idea man!!!

mike