Baffeling Puckup Buzz

avengers63

I have an issue I absolutely CANNOT sort out.

1 HB

1volume pot

Pretty hard to dork up one would think.

There is a buzz that only goes away when I touch the output jack, jack ring, or plug. I ran the pup directly to the jack, bypassing the pot altogether, remembering to include the bridge ground, but it's still there.

Now, I've never heard of a JACK going bad, but I suppose it's possible. It's not the instrument cable. Is it possible there's something wrong with the pup itself?

Well, if it goes away when you touch the metal parts of the jack, that indicates it's going away when you ground it. Have you tried using a continuity probe or multimeter to make *certain* the strings are grounded? Touch one end to the strings, and one end to the metal of the plug body and make sure the two have continuity.

Also might be worth checking the cable, and that the pickup shield wire is properly grounded.

Are you certain that you didn't reverse the hot & ground connections on the jack?

Also, what make & model of pickup do you have? Maybe it's not wired correctly. I know on DiMarzio pickups with 4-wires plus a ground wire, it's not that hard to miswire one (been there done that). In addition, usually the pick up baseplate is grounded. Maybe a wire came loose or there is a cold solder joint on the baseplate?

Just throwing out ideas...

I'm not positive. I de-soldered everything, then started from scratch. I first did the pup to jack - fine. Then added the pot - fine. No issues after I re-did the whole thing. The most likely explanation is that I had something reversed, but I honestly don't know.

I'm not positive. I de-soldered everything, then started from scratch. I first did the pup to jack - fine. Then added the pot - fine. No issues after I re-did the whole thing. The most likely explanation is that I had something reversed, but I honestly don't know.

Maybe... that or maybe you had a cold solder joint (one that wasn't making a good connection). Anyhow, glad you got it fixed! :D