New 16-32 And A Question

DC Ross

Hey all,

I picked up the Jet 16-32 at the Seattle woodworking show last weekend. It's been on my list forever and I was finally able to get a decent deal on it :D

So far this week I've run 6 bodies, 6 fretboards, 2 neck blanks, 4 quilted maple tops and multitudes of other miscellaneous bits through it. I'm really digging it! The belt changes are a snap, which is something I had concerns about -- for some reason, Wood magazine complained that it was difficult.

One issue that I'm having right off the bat is the conveyor belt tracking. When looking at it from the infeed side, the belt tracks to the left, so I tightened the left side & loosened the right side (as per the instructions). In order to get it to track correctly, now the left side is very taut and the right side is completely slack - so much so that the belt is buckling and if I'm sanding something thin, like 1/8" or less, the conveyor gets sanded as well.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I picked up the Jet 16-32 at the Seattle woodworking show last weekend. It's been on my list forever and I was finally able to get a decent deal on it :D

So far this week I've run 6 bodies, 6 fretboards, 2 neck blanks, 4 quilted maple tops and multitudes of other miscellaneous bits through it. I'm really digging it! The belt changes are a snap, which is something I had concerns about -- for some reason, Wood magazine complained that it was difficult.

One issue that I'm having right off the bat is the conveyor belt tracking. When looking at it from the infeed side, the belt tracks to the left, so I tightened the left side & loosened the right side (as per the instructions). In order to get it to track correctly, now the left side is very taut and the right side is completely slack - so much so that the belt is buckling and if I'm sanding something thin, like 1/8" or less, the conveyor gets sanded as well.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Glad to see you have moved up, makes things easier doesn't it.. I use mine for everything, hardly use my planer any more.

As far as the belt you have to start the adjustments with tension on the belt on both sides. The belt will stretch over time so expect to have to stretch out the left side of your belt. You do not want one side loose. Try adjusting the left in stages if it seems too tight so you don't stretch it too much in one day. The belt has to lay flat or the sander will not work correctly.

Congrats...it'll be a great addition. I use mine constantly.

I had to fiddle with the tracking for a while too, but I didn't have the issue you describe with one side being loose.

It did take several incremental adjustments to get the drum parallel to the table though.

Edited by Rick500